New Subwoofer Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed my add on subwoofer and amp according to Birdman's post.
Including:

Kicker SL10 which is at least 5 years old but never installed and new in box before this install.

Kicker under seat sub box (ported) within the specs of the sub.

Kicker 1200.1 Amp with gain and boost at 30%

Kicker Remote bass control knob

Monster 4 gauge wires including power and ground with 150 amp fuse, Monster gold plated rca cables, and large diameter monster speaker wire.

Factory head unit

When I "Crank it" after a minute it smells "Weird" in the cab of the truck. It is worse if the air is on recirculate.

Today when I smelled the smell, almost like electrical burning, I got out of the truck and checked all wires and fuses. Everything is legit and no wires were even warm to the touch. My buddy says new subs may have a "New sub smell" but I don't know. Should I purchase a fire extinguisher?:hidesbehindsofa:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m only pushing 300w through my sub, and I had new sub smell for a few weeks after, probably longer because I had to ease off while the wife was in the truck. :flamingdevil:

you don’t already have a fire extinguisher in the truck?

anyway, if you don’t already have it, download Alabama 3 / woke up this morning ( Sopranos intro song ) and play it on repeat for a few laps up and down your street each day next week. Bonus points for a big honking cigar and video.

that should be enough to complete the break in.

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m only pushing 300w through my sub, and I had new sub smell for a few weeks after, probably longer because I had to ease off while the wife was in the truck. :flamingdevil:

you don’t already have a fire extinguisher in the truck?

anyway, if you don’t already have it, download Alabama 3 / woke up this morning ( Sopranos intro song ) and play it on repeat for a few laps up and down your street each day next week. Bonus points for a big honking cigar and video.

that should be enough to complete the break in.

***** Fire extinguisher outside: check Fire extinguisher inside: Negative

I have never had an unused sub before so maybe this is a thing?:supergay:

smurfslayer

Reaction score
***** Fire extinguisher outside: check Fire extinguisher inside: Negative

I have never had an unused sub before so maybe this is a thing?:supergay:

It’s a thing.

Hit up the gen2 general discussion forum / raptor overland discussion. in cab 2.5# can mount for your seat bracket, plus the 2.5#er of your choice and you’re golden.

I bragged to my neighbor one time I could make water shake on my tables in Jurassic Park like in the actual movie so I invited them over.

problem: My sub was purchased in the late 80’s. It gave out as soon as I cranked it up for the water shaking scene.

darn it.

Replaced the speaker itself; was torn to shreds.

It’s all about the bass... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a thing.

Hit up the gen2 general discussion forum / raptor overland discussion. in cab 2.5# can mount for your seat bracket, plus the 2.5#er of your choice and you’re golden.

I bragged to my neighbor one time I could make water shake on my tables in Jurassic Park like in the actual movie so I invited them over.

problem: My sub was purchased in the late 80’s. It gave out as soon as I cranked it up for the water shaking scene.

darn it.

Replaced the speaker itself; was torn to shreds.

It’s all about the bass... :biggrin:

LOL I'm rolling two kids deep and can only "Shake my Water Bottle" when I'm solo. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Fail. Last night on the way home from work, I decided to play "MTX Night Bass" to get that smell out of the truck. About 4 minutes into it, a giant plume of smoke roared out of the port hole and the subwoofer has a nice rattle to it now. I assume its blown and I'll take it apart next week to dissect the problem. It may be the fact that it has sat new in box for 7 years lol. UUUgh

smurfslayer

Reaction score
well... If you’re gonna bin it, bin it big.

Time for an upgrade!