New Roll-X Updates - Reviewed Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
Thanks for the video. I have a version I received in May that has black plastic locking knobs in the front and back. The front knobs come loose too easily and the cover slides forward and rubs on the cab. I replaced them with nuts.

The wing nuts and adjusters in the back do allow you to lower the back. Looks to me from the video that your's could be a bit lower to minimize the gap and the drivers side side looks a bit high at the very back. Mine wanted to be high there too and I had to really push the track down as I tightened the rail brackets to keep it level.

Lastly I think if you slide the rails back a bit the seal would contact the tailgate nicely.

The rear seal on my cover was glued wrong and Morrie told me to wait to replace it for the new cover.

I lowered the "button" as low as it can go and it made a minimal difference on the gap. Still there, but no a big deal.

The rails were installed as directed, with a focus on downward pressure while clamping, and if they were somehow able to go any lower the tailgate would have trouble closing. As it is now, the tailgate already contacts the rail slightly.

As for loosening the front bolts and sliding the cover back to make more contact with the tailgate, you are absolutely correct. I could do that (and probably will), but it would not fix the problem of water being able to pool and leak in at that area. My tailgate also has a Bedrug mat installed, so a regular plastic liner may seal better than mine.

All things considered, none of these are a deal breaker for me and I'm happy with it. Thank you for pointing out how adjustable the cover can be, this flexibility might alleviate somebody's concerns.

BAKfactoryoutlet

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
RollX Development

Hi Guys: I just wanted to weigh in on the new changes to the RollX. The new design is about aesthetics and function. The earlier design had the seals overlapping at the rear corners and did not sit flat. Any water that might come in the tailgate with the new design will go right out the bottom of the tailgate. The new design also allows you to close the tailgate without having to open the cover.

I have the new design on my truck and it looks fantastic and works perfectly. The RollX placards at the rear, cover the attachment screws for the rear latch housing. These medallions are functional and not put there for advertising. Removing these medallions will void the warranty! Please do not remove them.

With these new developmental changes to the RollX, I believe the RollX continues to be the best tonneau made for a truck today.:big_banana_Dance:

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
Hi Guys: I just wanted to weigh in on the new changes to the RollX. The new design is about aesthetics and function. The earlier design had the seals overlapping at the rear corners and did not sit flat. Any water that might come in the tailgate with the new design will go right out the bottom of the tailgate. The new design also allows you to close the tailgate without having to open the cover.

I have the new design on my truck and it looks fantastic and works perfectly. The RollX placards at the rear, cover the attachment screws for the rear latch housing. These medallions are functional and not put there for advertising. Removing these medallions will void the warranty! Please do not remove them.

With these new developmental changes to the RollX, I believe the RollX continues to be the best tonneau made for a truck today.:big_banana_Dance:

Couldn't agree more. Thank you for clearing up the confusion about the new seal and placards. Inspecting the seal first hand, I think it will perform exactly as you described. Some people might be bothered by a little water getting into the bed, but I don't see it being an issue. All things considered, I would much rather have a cover with the functionality to close the gate while the cover is locked than have a perfect 100% water seal and sacrifice that feature. Perhaps I will video a water intrusion test next time I wash the truck that simulates driving in heavy rain.

As previously stated, I did months of research and in the end I wouldn't trade this cover for any other, and the entire Roll-X lineage is the best option on the market as far as my needs go. One of my favorite features (or lack thereof) is that there are no drainage tubes or drilling required at the front of the bed!

JayneCobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched the on of the installation videos and you should be able to slide the cover more toward the gate and get a better seal before you tighten down the nuts up front.

cheesehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered the Roll-X based upon your review, and all the associated follow up (including Morrie's)

Thanks all... will post my impressions in about 2 weeks!

cheesehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As promised: Installed my Roll-X this afternoon. Impressions...

Good:

Easy to install
Good Quality
Nicely packaged
Looks GREAT on the truck

Mild concerns

Mine has the dual bolts on each side where the cover fastens to the rail. One of the bolts on each side are in conflict with the spring that is on each side. Its no big deal, but seems like a design tweak could make this look a little more 'polished'

Paint flaw on one of the side rails... apparently a chip of metal was on the piece as it was sprayed, and is now embedded. Bothered me at first as I am quite OCD but nothing that will keep me up at night.

Rubber seal on the sides is not seating well yet, but i parked her out in the sun and will work on getting them laid flat

Instruction are lacking, but thanks to the great people here, it was no problem to install

Fairly obnoxious logos on the rear of the cover, will Plasti-Dip them. I know they have a purpose, but they stick out too much.

What are the 4 extra rubber seals and the 2 extra nuts and the 4 extra pieces of plastic/adhesive for?! Maybe i am stupid, but was scratching my head...

Summary

Awesome cover, was worried about the seal/weatherstrip that runs along the front of box holding because it was line-x'ed but seemed to hold ok. Its not tight against the cover anyway, but helps close the cap since the cover needed to be designed to accommodate plastic bedliners.

Tried to show my wife how great this cover was as compared to others, but she shrugged and walked away. But hey, she is the one who let me get the truck in the first place, so all is good.

Happy weekend all!

Pokyoky

Reaction score
What are the 4 extra rubber seals and the 2 extra nuts and the 4 extra pieces of plastic/adhesive for?! Maybe i am stupid, but was scratching my head...

The 4 rubber seals go on the bottom of the cover where it would hit your back window when it is rolled up and you come to a sudden stop.