New Rear diff cover and fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mpk1996

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The ruffstuff design does not have the “faults” mentioned by banks. Not sure if it really adds any capacity either. But it’s def thicker and stronger. And looks badass as well

OP
OP
mpk1996

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ruffstuff (non Ford) has a couple of crappy reviews on Amazon...

True. But only two reviews. Not that worried about those. At least they said the welds look good

Amazon doesn’t have the 9.75” available either

D

Deleted member 12951

do yourself a favor and skip the fancy cover. Buy a foutz skid, roll with the stock cover and laugh at the dude with the fancy diff cover when you motor by him on trail while he tries to figure out how to fix the differential whose cover just got peeled off by a rock...

this is my rear axle. The factory fluid capacity worked just fine for me. it will work fine for you. I double dare you to run your truck harder than mine to prove that an extra 1/2 quart of gear oil makes a difference. triple dog dare ya!

I’ve considered this skid but don’t like the idea that it uses the same bolts that hold on the cover and sits lower to get hit most likely. Worried it might hit and take the cover with it. Or loosen the bolts.

Personally I would get the B&M cover if I were to replace but still wearing the stock cover. I run my hard and the dealership has opened my rear diff about a dozen times and it gets fresh gear oil every time. [emoji23]

8e4c4c72cede0d73d60cdffb559ec651.jpg

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
What about this one?

SmartSelect_20190629-005334_eBay.jpg

If you want more protection for your rear end, Ford Performance has you covered. Their heavy duty cover is made from thick nodular iron with extra ribbing in all the right places to minimize case distortion and bearing cap deflection as well as provide protection from off road hazards. This adds up to preventing chipped gear teeth and lengthening the life of ring & pinion gears. The OE quality hammer finish rugged powdercoat looks great as well. Kit includes new bolts, gasket, and 3/8" drive fill/drain plugs with factory pre-applied sealant. If you tow often, off-road in mud, or do deep water crossings you'll appreciate the ability to drain your gear oil without the mess of removing the entire cover. Another great feature is the raised fill plug which allows for increased fluid capacity on high pinion angles.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about this one?

View attachment 125527

If you want more protection for your rear end, Ford Performance has you covered. Their heavy duty cover is made from thick nodular iron with extra ribbing in all the right places to minimize case distortion and bearing cap deflection as well as provide protection from off road hazards. This adds up to preventing chipped gear teeth and lengthening the life of ring & pinion gears. The OE quality hammer finish rugged powdercoat looks great as well. Kit includes new bolts, gasket, and 3/8" drive fill/drain plugs with factory pre-applied sealant. If you tow often, off-road in mud, or do deep water crossings you'll appreciate the ability to drain your gear oil without the mess of removing the entire cover. Another great feature is the raised fill plug which allows for increased fluid capacity on high pinion angles.
This is exactly the same as the spicer cover I posted, mine was less than half because the plate doesn’t say ford.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a bunch of ruffstuff fabrication components, they are great. You can get a weld in plug for that and DIY or if you call them they would do it for you.

OP
OP
mpk1996

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a bunch of ruffstuff fabrication components, they are great. You can get a weld in plug for that and DIY or if you call them they would do it for you.
I was going to call them and ask about that. Honestly they need to make a DP std. that’s one f the main reasons to go to an aftermarket diff cover