New Rear diff cover and fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That skid might not fit with the thickness of the fabricated cover's flange. It has part that goes over the pinion area and pushing it back 3/8" might be an issue.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
It’s not really about the extra capacity. Looks stronger. And I’m a sucker for a nice custom welded fabricated look!

Same reason I put fabricated valve covers on the race car!

But I do like the rear skid. Might need to do both!
cant do both. skid only works with the factory cover.

RaptorJay

Reaction score

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do yourself a favor and skip the fancy cover. Buy a foutz skid, roll with the stock cover and laugh at the dude with the fancy diff cover when you motor by him on trail while he tries to figure out how to fix the differential whose cover just got peeled off by a rock...

this is my rear axle. The factory fluid capacity worked just fine for me. it will work fine for you. I double dare you to run your truck harder than mine to prove that an extra 1/2 quart of gear oil makes a difference. triple dog dare ya!

xKsvCbp.jpg
EYIRkUF.jpg
I could not have say it any better!
A complete waste of money.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Drain plug and inspection windows alone could be considered worth $250. Per the video, more lubricant capacity doesn't necessarily mean you are overfilling or higher up on the gears with fluid level. I totally agree that more capacity is not needed for our application though.

FP/Spicer cover and a skid seems like a justifiable spend of $500 for the project addicted.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might want to reconsider buying a fancy looking cover, take it from Banks himself.

I've watched all of those videos and the issue is with the covers that have a squared off edge inside. Neither one of the covers in this thread have that issue, both are very similar to a stock cover internally. I'd be more than comfortable running that fabricated cover or the Spicer/FRPP cover knowing I'm not working the shit out of the gear oil for no reason.

The Spicer/FRPP and skid plate made for that cover would be a hard setup to beat. For those who don't know, the Spicer/FRPP cover is nodular iron, not aluminum- so it's pretty damn tough.

4x4juunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This debate is great, I love the banks references again. I’d like one with a drain and fill plug that’s shaped like the factory one so I can get one of those skid plates. Good up grade for sure.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
The Ruffstuff (non Ford) has a couple of crappy reviews on Amazon...