New Rear diff cover and fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd buy one with a drain plug, or at least an o-ring seal. Doing silicone every time you change fluid sucks donkey balls. That thing looks strong as hell though. If I was dragging it across rocks, that looks like a very good choice- much more so than any cast iron/aluminum cover.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the AFE one. Beefy, heat fins, drain bolt, O-ring, and a spot for a temperature sending unit

OP
OP
mpk1996

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the ticket for sure. seems like a good price compared to whats out there as well. throw some cerakote on there, and it will be pretty for sure

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're gonna swap it out, definitely get one that has a drain (and fill - duh) plug - it will make future rear diff fluid drain/fills easy as pie !

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
do yourself a favor and skip the fancy cover. Buy a foutz skid, roll with the stock cover and laugh at the dude with the fancy diff cover when you motor by him on trail while he tries to figure out how to fix the differential whose cover just got peeled off by a rock...

this is my rear axle. The factory fluid capacity worked just fine for me. it will work fine for you. I double dare you to run your truck harder than mine to prove that an extra 1/2 quart of gear oil makes a difference. triple dog dare ya!

xKsvCbp.jpg
EYIRkUF.jpg

OP
OP
mpk1996

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not really about the extra capacity. Looks stronger. And I’m a sucker for a nice custom welded fabricated look!

Same reason I put fabricated valve covers on the race car!

But I do like the rear skid. Might need to do both!