New Raptor Owner, Is The Truck SUPPOSED To Feel Like This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to run 50psi on my General Grabbers g3. The mileage and ride is amazing. I think the added pressure will stiffen your ride.

Flatfuse

Reaction score
Welcome to the stock 10 speed “learning” transmission. The dealer can reset the transmission back to original (unlearn) and it will get rid of the harsh shifting- especially the clunking from R to D. Sadly it will eventually come back again in a few thousand. If it had a good TCM tune (Cobb/goose). The transmission shifting would be smoother and greatly improved- not worse and certainly does not cause hard shifting. The best thing you can do for these trucks is to get a good ECU & TCM tune. It completely changes the truck’s driving experience for the better.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
i would also try a tranny reset so it can calibrate and learn your driving style. I purchased a used truck about 6 months ago and had tranny/shifting issues bad but once i reset and did the proper calibration steps it learned my driving and have been told by a lot of techs its the smoothest shifting 10 speed transmission theyve driven...

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said, the bumping you feel is the transmission downshifting. It should not be shifting so harshly that you feel it really applying the brakes, unless it has been tuned to do so. Check to make sure you're not driving in a sport mode. The drive to reverse harsh engagement is a sign of wear. It definitely should not be so rough. Are you coming to a complete stop? Seems silly to ask, but people are hard on cars, especially if they are new to the category/performance vehicles in general.

Gen 2s are kind of floaty, and you say it's your first truck. They're also body on frame trucks with a stout suspension, so some bed shake/shimmy over sharp bumps is to be expected. To make sure you're not just experiencing the physics of a truck for the first time or just the quirks of a Raptor, see if you can drive another Raptor.

Airing down the tires will make the truck less jittery unloaded, but it will also make it wallow more around corners. Personally, I like this, as it makes it more baja-truck like. Note that it will be less responsive on the street at lower tire pressures. You may also activate a low tire pressure warning.