New Raptor owner and Ford tech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wanted to introduce myself and my truck. I've replied to a couple threads here and wanted to let you all know where I'm coming from. I'm a Ford Senior Master Technician, shop foreman, Service Manager, and I teach Automotive Electrical at the local Technical College. I have been in the automotive business for 24 years now, doing multiple roles in Dealerships and Aftermarkets most as a technician

I got my 2018 Raptor in leadfoot back in February of this year from the dealership I work for. My story about owning my Raptor is probably very different than most members here, as I wasn't particularly looking for a Raptor (or a new vehicle at all) when I found my truck. I would say the very first time I ever even entertained owning a raptor was when I was (ironically) putting an engine in one late last year. I had the cab off and was putting the new engine in and thought to myself - I could see myself owning one of these. Fast forward a few months to February, my kid had a "daddy daughter dance" at her school which I have gone to every year with both of my girls. Well, the youngest one asks me every time to get a lifted truck from work - I usually grab the biggest loudest flashiest Super Duty we have. Low and behold with inventory shortages and trucks being ordered and delivered without ever sitting on the lot, there were none.

I found 2 used Raptors on our lot, a 2018 and a 2022. I went to grab keys out of the machine and the 2022 was in the body shop for repair, so I grabbed the keys to the 18, drove it around and put my dealer plate on it. Took it home, picked my daughter up and wondered if it was going to be big and flashy enough for her. Turns out it was, she was so excited to pull up to school in it. I decided after the dance to bring it back to work that night instead of brining it home. I rolled the windows down, opened the sunroof and turned the radio up. As it turns out, I fell in love with the truck too. After driving my 2020 Fusion home that night, I started thinking about the truck and sort of jokingly said to my wife I wanted to buy it. The next day I pulled the truck into my service bay and checked it out looking for things like accident damage, aftermarket stuff, janky wiring, etc. I was surprised to see the truck had some pretty nice mods done to it - Cobb stage 2 package with accessport, deavers, Icon lift collar, etc.

Other than some auxiliary wiring that was maybe hastily removed? And some evidence of water leaking into the cab in the passenger side (Later found out it was a windshield leak repaired under warranty at another local dealer) the truck was pretty clean. Still not confident in myself actually buying the truck I asked a salesman to give me some numbers. I had a price in mind and a payment and 2 days later everything worked out under the numbers I expected so I pulled the trigger as fast as possible. I did find out the truck was owned by a member here who traded this one in because his new Raptor R came in, though I never met him.

Sorry for the long post, on to the pics.
View attachment 411203
View attachment 411205
View attachment 411206
View attachment 411207

-Joe
Welcome ! Nice truck! Im just a newb too but the sarcastic humor of this forum is up at the top. From a tech perspective how are you liking the full race front mount intercooler? Why did ford even bother put active shutters on the gen2/gen3??

OP
OP
sc85fiero

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Thanks,
as for the paint question, wouldn't be the first car I owned in primer. Honestly the leadfoot paint was one of the big positives of the truck when I tossed around the idea of buying it.

Another big plus was when I discovered the FMIC. I use my accessport as a gauge to watch certain things, one of them is charged air temperature. In the blazing Florida summer sun the CAC temps never seem to go above 130 and as soon as the turbos start producing boost and moving the air through the FMIC they drop like a rock to where the boosted air temps are barely 5-10 degrees hotter than ambient air.

Why did Ford use active grill shutters on these? I can't say I know for sure but what I do know is they wouldn't waste one single penny on a regular production vehicle if the engineers didn't believe it was necessary.

-Joe

edit to add: I actually liked my Fusion, it was slow and boring but everyone left me alone. Since owning this thing I notice a lot more people driving like a$$holes around me. I tried giving it to the wife but that only lasted 2 months before she wanted another Edge.