New raptor.....motor BOOM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This why I'm fine with N/A

Procharger has drivable issues with the Raptor's PCM software controlling the torque management, it's well known here on the forum.
And then you have hennescrew that can't tune or build shit the right way.

Both Whipple and Roush is the way to go when Supercharging a Raptor.
I'm a happy camper for 8 1/2 years!!

Last edited:

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2011 Raptor that has 18K miles on it with the Hennessey package (Velociraptor 600). Its a beautiful looking truck for sure. I drove it 300 miles......and BOOM. I was passing a semi, I hit 85-90 mph the truck started shaking violently, smoke rolled out from under the hood, engine light came on. I immediately pulled over, looked at my exhaust and blue smoke was coming out there as well as the hood. I shut the truck down and sure enough valve cover leak on passenger side...but why the smoke in the exhaust. A friend showed up with a device to read engine codes. Cylinder 5 and 8 were both showing faults. I towed the truck home, tore off the valve covers thinking broken valve spring....nope all are good. Manually turned the engine at the flywheel...all cylinders and valves going up and down. I removed the spark plugs, some had a little oil on them...mainly the bottom plugs on the driver side. So I tested the compression....ZERO on one cylinder, 90 on the next, 154 on the next and 185 on the last (going from front to back). I peeked down the spark plug hole of the cylinder that had zero compression, the top of the piston was scuffed some but not pitted or dented. I had the truck towed to a repair shop that specializes in hot rods. I should know more this coming week on what exactly the issue is....I hope that I do not need a new engine....hopefully just a head. Curious if anyone else has had any issues like this?

The truck was parked in my shop when not driving, there were never any oil leaks on the concrete. I am curious as to what the hell what have caused this. I would have thought an engine with so few miles would not fall apart.

I am waiting to see if the dealership is going to help....my hopes are not high....but they are a high end dealer and maybe they will...so I have a feeling I am looking at 1000-7000 dollars depending on if its a head or new engine or a rebuild.

I have been reading a lot in the forum, people cannot stand Hennessey performance....which is my own negligence for not doing more research before buying. After reading all the negativity.....and literally driving the truck 300 miles and the engine blowing up.....I think I am going to fix and sell......buy the new RAM Rebel Hellcat TRX next year. Its an awful feeling buying a truck and it breaks immediately.

It most likely ate a ring or ring land, detonation is the most likely cause, do you know how much boost your running, what your afr was at the time? Maybe a data log?

It’s possible the cylinder with no compression dropped a valve seat, I haven’t heard about that in the new motors, but if your truck has a 5.4 in it, then it’s possible.

Livernois........ I wouldn’t have them tune anything on a bet, everyone has their favorite tuner, but they aren’t even in the same league with some of these guys.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a few Raptor's that switched to Livernois's Procharger Tune,
not one complained and was night and day better than the Tunes they started out with.
I haven't heard anything bad about their Whipple and Roush Tunes either come to think of it.

OP
OP
S

sisaacks

Reaction score
Well it melted the piston. I just found out today. So people keep stating Livernois tune. How do I get this and how do I contact them?

The Raptor I bought, only had 18K on it. I literally put 300 miles when this happened. The shop thought possibly that due to sitting it had a fuel injector go bad.

As far as boost, I have NFC, other then the dyno sheet from Hennessey when it was added in 2011.

As far as the rebel, its the new trx hellcat but atleast its warrantied.

Last but not least, if I was to get a different supercharger I assume it just needs to be reflashed.

OP
OP
S

sisaacks

Reaction score
The truck is a 6.2L

This is what the shop sent me today.

the Number 5 Piston Is Melted it is fixable not sure to what extent will need to go until I can find out if the block will clean up. it looks to be just aluminum transfer.
But I Will need to get the engine out and Remove the piston be for I will know for sure. Then will need to find out why this happened of course.

OP
OP
S

sisaacks

Reaction score
Ive owned quite a few supercharged vehicles. Never had an issue ever. While Im sure other super chargers are better, the last thing I want to do is pour more money into this after fixing it. Most likely going to sell it or trade it

OP
OP
S

sisaacks

Reaction score
Does anyone have the contact for Grant at Hennessey? I will at least try, pull the disabled vet card. Sometimes it helps sometimes it does not. Cant say I will ever buy a used vehicle again. This is the 2nd used vehicle Ive ever bought and both have had major issues. Im hoping the dealer will help but Im doubtful....

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do about buying used raptors and more to do with not doing adequate research! Several members have had bad luck with the big 2 ( procharger / Hennessey ) the 6.2 has been one of the most reliable engines in both the super duty and raptor platforms