New Raptor - Hesitating between low gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
Currently have about ~1,100 miles on my Raptor. Not sure what the official auto term is here, but my truck kind of hesitates / stalls / stutters going between gear 3 and 4 when I first start driving in the morning.

Is this normal on a new truck? Feel like I've had this issue on other trucks in the past and it just normally resolves itself, but I'm not really sure.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same mileage and the exact same issue. It's like a stall where it falls on its face. Seems to happen only first thing before the truck is warm. Frankly i'm not in love with the drivetrain yet. I just sold a CTSV and it's engine/trans combo was so amazing, like one solid piece of power. Mmmmmm

No Clue

Reaction score
I've already had my '19 t to the dealer and all they did was disconnect the battery to put the trans back in learning mode. After several hundred miles it still does it. I've seen elsewhere on this forum that guys are getting it re-flashed.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same mileage and the exact same issue. It's like a stall where it falls on its face. Seems to happen only first thing before the truck is warm. Frankly i'm not in love with the drivetrain yet. I just sold a CTSV and it's engine/trans combo was so amazing, like one solid piece of power. Mmmmmm

At 6,600 miles and deal with this too. I’ve done enough research about this transmission in 2017+ F150s to know it’s not going to go away. The only thing I hate about this truck is the transmission. The hesitation, intermittent awkward shifting, clunking now and again, and whine noise it makes (trans oil pump gear noise) that ford says are “characteristics”. Sometimes it shifts like a teenager learning how to drive a stick lol...

I've already had my '19 t to the dealer and all they did was disconnect the battery to put the trans back in learning mode. After several hundred miles it still does it. I've seen elsewhere on this forum that guys are getting it re-flashed.

There was a TSB for trucks manufactured early-mid 2018 (certain months only) for transmission software. Mine was built November of 2018 and the service dept was nice enough to try the re-flash even though it didn’t apply to my truck but it didn’t solve the hesitation problem.

adam0311

Reaction score
This issue seems to be getting worse in my truck for some reason, about 2300 miles on it. Nearly every day when I’m pulling out of my office parking lot (truck has been sitting for 4-5 hours) and accelerating to 45-50mph...almost stalls between shifts...enough so that my seatbelt will actually lockup from the sudden loss of forward motion. Another week and I’m taking it into the dealer.

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This low gear (3-4-5) stumbling/shifting problem (especially when cold) seems to be fairly common to the 10-spd transmission.

I have a 19 Platinum (built in late-mid May) that has the problem. I'll be taking it in in a couple of months for its first service and will see if any updates are available.

I've read recently that some have found running the trans in Sport mode diminishes or even removes this problem. I haven't tried this yet....

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 19 did it for the first couple weeks then it cleared up....now just started again a few days ago. I'm at 16,000 miles now. Junk.