New Race Tire from Toyo: Toyo Open Country M/T-R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We finally got in the Toyo M/T-R race tire. This tire is NOT DOT and is for off-road only. This is the same tire that the Toyo race teams run. It has a much harder compound, has no siping on the tread and the tread is not as deep as the DOT version. This is a great option for those who like the General 37" race tire as well as the BFG Baja but want a more aggressive tread pattern. This tire has been around for a while but is now available to the general public.

We and some of our customers will be running them at the 2014 Texas Raptor Run, so if you'd like a closer look just let us know.

image_zpsdd38f0d2.jpg

image_1_zpsa6d19126.jpg

photo_zps9738f87d.jpg

image_2_zps63c5b5ad.jpg

OP
OP
TEXAS MOTORWORX

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These weigh 89lbs compared to 92lbs of a dot 37" Toyo.

They retail at $505ea.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok im a bit lost here. i dont know if others are in the same boat, but why would an offroad tire have less tread than an onroad tire? i would think bigger tread to help protect it from the harsh abuse that they would go through. do you know if there is a specific reason for this?

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its not so much tread on the tire. You don't see everyone using mud tires racing. Baja kr's or falken wild peaks or any other type that's not a mud tire and such are less. Its more of the type of compound they use. The sidewall layers. Some compounds are softer then others and some are harder, some a little more grippier then others. Not that all experienced in tires. But just giving my two cents if it helps.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
TEXAS MOTORWORX

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its not so much tread on the tire. You don't see everyone using mud tires racing. Baja kr's or falken wild peaks and such are less. Its more of the type of compound they use. The sidewall layers. Not that all experienced in tires. But just giving my two cents if it helps.

Exactly, it's all about the compound of the rubber. These tires are not going to chunk up like a DOT tire would. These tires will provide superior traction off road.

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks. i just know how to burn through them. not too educated on offroad truck tires.

You ride a bike right. Think of it the same way. You got medium tread hard and soft. Each brand has different compounds. Some have two compounds in one tire. Daily street riders have Medium on side and hard in middle. Track soft tires to medium. Just a little example for ya I suppose.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, but on street, no tread is best for track, but tread is mandatory for street. i was just under the assumption we would want deeper tread for an offroad tire.