New Pro Comp Wheels... Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
NewBumper7307.jpg

This is what they look like! Love em. Easy to clean and don't hold onto mud like the stockers did.

Those wheels look great on your silver SCREW :waytogo:

Which bumper do you have on your Raptor? (That "extra tube" on the top looks good but I can't identify which vendor made that bumper).

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

I have no knowledge of this - So if someone could humor me here: What's the difference and why does it matter?

Cast Wheels vs Forged Wheels, What’s the difference?
January 19, 2011

The terms “forged” and “cast” are often used to describe a set of wheels to indicate the process used to manufacture the wheel. In the wheel industry forging and casting are the two predominant types of processes used to manufacture wheels.

During the casting process molten aluminum is either poured or drawn using a vacuum into a mold, where it is formed into the desired wheel shape and allowed to cool. Once the wheel has cooled minor modifications such as drilling and trimming are made, allowing for quick and inexpensive production. While a cast wheel may be easier and less expensive to manufacture, the process of allowing the molten aluminum to solidify leads to porosity, which are essentially inconsistencies in the material structure that unaccounted for can lead to cracking, oxidation, pitting in the finishing, and a reduction in the wheel’s structural integrity. To counteract this deficiency, manufacturers are forced to design with larger tolerances which lead to heavier wheels in order to achieve the desired structural integrity.

In contrast to casting, a forged wheel begins as a solid piece of metal referred to as a “billet”. This billet is then subjected to heat and intense pressure, which compresses the material to form a raw forging. These raw forgings are “forged” into different profiles to allow for the creation of different wheel designs.

blog-forging-1.jpg
blog-forging-3.jpg

The raw forgings are then lathe turned and milled in-house using our CNC machines to form the final shape and application of the desired wheel.

blog-milling-3.jpg

blog-face.jpg

Due to the immense pressure that the billet undergoes during the forging process, the metal is less porous compared to cast wheels and has an interlocking and aligned grain structure. Although this can only be viewed under a microscope, this structure results in improved strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion and oxidation. Due to the more consistent forging, the same structural integrity can be achieved using less material in a forged wheel versus a similarly designed cast wheel, this lighter weight translates into improved overall vehicle performance. Forged wheels are often made into traditional one-piece monobloc wheels, or due to their inherent strength to weight, they can be made into two- and three-piece variations to give manufactures enormous flexibility in creating custom offsets and widths that would not normally be available in a monobloc construction.

Although the forging process may be more time consuming and costly than cast wheels, they offer significant benefits to the consumer. COR and Axiom wheels are designed and machined in-house, which means we have extensive control over the manufacturing process ensuring the highest level of quality and craftsmanship. In general, our forged wheels offer a 10 to 15 percent reduction in weight compared to factory cast wheels with some examples achieving a 35 percent reduction in weight.

cast-vs-forged-blog-2.jpg

Source: Cast Wheels VS Forged Wheels, What

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the gloss black/polished ring version of these (ProComp 8128)....love them! They're a little old school looking which I like and the ) offset gives a nice stance without rubbing/interference at lock or articulation.

img3421514x800.jpg

img3712800x380.jpg

Marine on Land

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumper is Wicked the initial version of the newest one they are pimping right now. It was called the SSB 1.0. P.s. I saw the wheels on ramrods truck and knew it was for me. They just looked right.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hmm is anyone worried about the max load being 2200lbs per wheel? Seems like it would be ok for street use but any highspeed decent loads might be a bit of an issue? Or am i just being a bit paranoid?

JRASIK_Cdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm is anyone worried about the max load being 2200lbs per wheel? Seems like it would be ok for street use but any highspeed decent loads might be a bit of an issue? Or am i just being a bit paranoid?

While we're at it, would somebody mind humoring a noob and answering whether these would work with the aftermarket 1.5" upper control arms? I seem to remember reading something saying that the 1.5"'ers would only work with less or more than 5" backspacing on the wheels.

Thanks!