New Owner - What is this for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope. mine have been in since i got the truck. you are just completing a circuit. if there is nothing connected to the other side of that circuit, it is going nowhere. no excess current draw of any sort

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see the tow wiring harness....was I supposed to get one?

Good question. When I picked up my truck I looked for the harness as well because I had one with my 09 FX4. When I found the other stuff in my door. I figured that this must be some sort of upgrade and no more harness was needed. I also have the rear camera and got the plug as well.

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there's no juice going to the plugs in the rear?

I haven't towed yet, but it would be good to know prior to hooking up my trailer and not having any trailer lights...

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not for towing. It's for running auxiliary power in a trailer. Like lights etc. it's a larger fuse and relay.
You can still pull a trailer without it and having working running lights.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not for towing. It's for running auxiliary power in a trailer. Like lights etc. it's a larger fuse and relay.
You can still pull a trailer without it and having working running lights.

Finally somebody with a complete answer. I was always like wtf if it's for towing then why don't I have it installed and everything still works fine...