New Motor??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jace21583

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dealing with the TPMS failure issue as well....My dealer tried but tapped out so I have a Ford Engineer
coming out to diagnose....think it has to do with a faulty BCM
kMDzypw190ZGqnzHVfDj2mM9XNUxVZgUl1aQjRtndejxk6EvzYohTkcrRWC41Xd4QwSpljLPOlgx0WBqD5l1t7pzW-HSTYpTonG1GW6RosD8rPUdKHmpjNRLXN5Plrls3C0ybLLJQx90t9K9-9_M7LaYWbyYdvsp7bjDkYfLjNesDNec6DXMI9fXaB3IlqFth1yfB8l-YY9hj1HjCptcNlPUaU_HMwDRZBbq_AWPVYe7fAUdyH8E_tzS5K3ZM1H9OAEkpfaHm_m0B-mCULnqA61dQ4uicb2s04yBdSj2oMH9Gco4StPjik4oScVeyWuamEBAG0XPnglNkVqBBJJXu8Q_a7bgclKt8pMqQA1Dal1O3q_ASul8PEXHx1XZaNRHi9ZUFblFiSkwmsCxvRv9zFWDMtUuqMLHDXKu-5fFGQ-PG9uOzEkJwH3453fHpYWMBw0uiiGB6fpojt9nCfmVsg4c6y19eTETvhCCUV8rT1TLDdSWnV6a9uEoT15N02FSuNX2IHd82jXvbYVSoMvn9KeVuoCuVap7w11NmDAY2SIQJU7Rcjj7n1GwyS9h2iuZMG_vp9UqJy4BR5vPj1kXRQjuIMLncVn7dq1YAm7rdVJsM_iQGd-JxDt2RlTWBwiPcVEVXFdqEhXtdXjanMfn6E8uz-6sbg80OK3-UrbGG-qV2FCwcqboGIBU6nbTkUc=w1350-h880-no
They replaced the bcm on mine, didn't make any difference.

OP
OP
Jace21583

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any aftermarket components installed? I have seen a devices as simple as a cell phone charger take out the TPMS signals. Stock wheels and tires as well? The BCM is a possibility, but it's the least like root cause. It may be as simple as a faulty sensor.
I had a whole host of aftermarket stuff but it was all disconnected. Not sure what he's had done. I've got pages of descriptions on what steps they took but at the end of the day they couldn't figure it out. I've reached out to ford directly and they said they'd send it up the chain with no eta on resolution. I'm kinda out of ideas without getting lawyers involved which is always a last resort which could be unfruitful. What do you suggest we do in regards to the tpms issue?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't make it at all easy that this is the closest dealer at 60 miles each way. They just keep getting farther and farther away, which makes me second guess my bronco reservation and potential gen 3 purchase.

That sucks. I'm in kind of a similar spot. Mine is gone when the warranty expires. It's one thing to have them fumbling around on Ford's dime, but letting them shotgun long-lead-time parts on my dime at their high retail rates is just stupid.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a whole host of aftermarket stuff but it was all disconnected. Not sure what he's had done. I've got pages of descriptions on what steps they took but at the end of the day they couldn't figure it out. I've reached out to ford directly and they said they'd send it up the chain with no eta on resolution. I'm kinda out of ideas without getting lawyers involved which is always a last resort which could be unfruitful. What do you suggest we do in regards to the tpms issue?

There is no excuse for "not figuring it out". There are only so many components in the system; it's the same system as the other near 1,000,000 F-series Ford builds every year. Did the dealer contact hotline? If hotline can't figure it out, they will send out a field engineer. As far as aftermarket, disconnecting power is not always enough. Do you have aftermarket wiring tied into the BCM? Are the wheels and tires factory?

OP
OP
Jace21583

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no excuse for "not figuring it out". There are only so many components in the system; it's the same system as the other near 1,000,000 F-series Ford builds every year. Did the dealer contact hotline? If hotline can't figure it out, they will send out a field engineer. As far as aftermarket, disconnecting power is not always enough. Do you have aftermarket wiring tied into the BCM? Are the wheels and tires factory?
No, everything that was aftermarket, just lights, were tied into the upfitter switches. At the time this started yes I was still in the factory wheels and my ko2s that came with the truck. It was around 20k when gremlins started hatching. But hey it looks like I'm getting a Ford factory remanufactured motor under warranty. That has me a little nervous because the service writer said they are using all the same parts for 2018 motors... Does this mean I'm opened back up to having to have cam phasers replaced again?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, everything that was aftermarket, just lights, were tied into the upfitter switches. At the time this started yes I was still in the factory wheels and my ko2s that came with the truck. It was around 20k when gremlins started hatching. But hey it looks like I'm getting a Ford factory remanufactured motor under warranty. That has me a little nervous because the service writer said they are using all the same parts for 2018 motors... Does this mean I'm opened back up to having to have cam phasers replaced again?

It sounds like they are replacing the long block, in which case you will get the updated engine design with all of the new part numbers as well as the 1 piece aluminum oil pan. Ford released TSB 20-2306 to provide the instructions necessary to accommodate the new engine design, which involves updated transmission cooler lines and rerouting the engine harness. The Service Advisor sounds like they may be misinformed.

OP
OP
Jace21583

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they are replacing the long block, in which case you will get the updated engine design with all of the new part numbers as well as the 1 piece aluminum oil pan. Ford released TSB 20-2306 to provide the instructions necessary to accommodate the new engine design, which involves updated transmission cooler lines and rerouting the engine harness. The Service Advisor sounds like they may be misinformed.
I sure hope so man, I kinda feel like I'm getting the shaft if they give me another 2018 motor with a 12month warranty. I called ford customer care and asked them for help with this. Hate to say it but it might be time for a trx and cancel my bronco order that I converted from a reservation this last Tuesday.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sure hope so man, I kinda feel like I'm getting the shaft if they give me another 2018 motor with a 12month warranty. I called ford customer care and asked them for help with this. Hate to say it but it might be time for a trx and cancel my bronco order that I converted from a reservation this last Tuesday.

If you’re under powertrain warranty you’ll be getting the latest new or reman long block. The older design with the 2 piece oil pan is no longer being manufactured, hence the TSB.

OP
OP
Jace21583

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re under powertrain warranty you’ll be getting the latest new or reman long block. The older design with the 2 piece oil pan is no longer being manufactured, hence the TSB.
Fingers crossed lol hopefully like you said they service writer was either misinformed or misspoke. Thanks man