New member with transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennymog

Reaction score
Hey Guys, this is my first time posting on any forum so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place.

I need some help/ advice as to what the hell is going on with my truck?

It is a 2010 Raptor with the 6.2L

Issues: After being plagued with harsh shirting for a couple of years I finally tried to do everything possible to fix it. Its the only thing I've hated on this truck. Problems are harsh downshifting when coming to a stop (more of a bang than a clunk/sometimes a little bit of both) and same when accelerating out of first into second. Ive tried the slip yoke white grease from ford with zero success. I then went a little crazy with ordering a new drive shaft from axle exchange, new valve body from ford with the lead frame and solenoids, bulk head connector and thermo-bridge seal, and a 93 street tune from 5 star tuning. I also upgraded to the deaver +2 springs.

Here is where things start to get real interesting.

After installing all of the listed above and a bunch of other misc. parts not related to the transmission. I loaded in the tune and before you know it the problem was still there (even after 500 miles of driving). The new valve body from Ford came with paperwork with a valve shift strategy code and sticker that I put on the bell housing. It mentioned that a Ford tech needs to program the shift strategy code with PCM yada yada yada. Me thinking that the 5 star tune would kind of take care of that didn't happen (my fault). So i called 5 star and explained to them what was happening, I was told to re flash back to stock tune and bring to ford dealer to have the shift strategy programmed.

Made appointment and dropped off truck at Ford and gave service manger the paperwork that came with the valve body. I was called the next day and told that it was ready to be picked up. Once i started the truck at the lot I noticed the check engine light was on (light was not on when I dropped it off). So I decided to drive it up the block and see whats going on. It was now stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear which I believe is the limp mode or something like that (never did that before). Turned it around and dropped it off. Two days later service manager calls and says Fords Engineering department told them it needs a new PCM. Me not happy still agreed and gave them the green light.

1 week later I haven't heard back so I called and here was the response, new PCM was no good and second one was ordered.

Again 1 week later, I Call. Response from service manager was 2nd PCM no good and he's waiting to hear back from Ford Engineering again.

This is the 3rd week now and they still haven't figured it out.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Why is it that the check engine light came on and truck is stuck in gear? It never did that before.

I called 5 star and even they agreed that this is very odd and haven't heard of this before.

I apologize for the long post, just trying to give as much information as possible to try and figure this out.

Thank you

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. :)

You could have used the Gen 1 "general section" sub-forum since there's no specific "transmission" sub-forum under the Gen 1 area of the msg board, but this new member section you posted in as good as any for the time being (a mod could possibly move the thread for you if you ask one of 'em but I wouldn't sweat it).

Anyways, sucks about the trans issue - think you did the right thing by using a new lead frame / valve body and trying to get that programmed properly after removing the 5 star tune. I had heard about other trucks suffering from the "limp mode" issue so that sounds about right regarding its behavior IIRC.

Did the dealership ever mention what check engine light codes were revealed after they scanned it? Without knowing what specific codes were thrown, it almost sounds like they didn't know what else to do and just threw new parts (PCM) at it hoping that it resolved the problem (?).

Maybe there's another dealer nearby or a trans/performance shop local to you that could give you a second opinion if you have lost faith with your current dealer's service dept...?

Don't got much else for ya, but g'luck & let us know what the culprit was !

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. I didn't think there was a lead frame issue with the 2010 models, anyway, don't think a tune from 5 star would solve any of those issues you are having anyway, not bashing here either. Maybe ask the SA if you can talk to the tech directly and see what he says, or talk to the service manager about what is going on. Be nice though, lol. Hope they get it figured out. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
K

kennymog

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies cobra90gt and coronaraptor

Dealer only mentioned that it was a transmission fault code (still very odd as the code was not there before I dropped off the truck). I will call again Monday and ask for more details on the code their getting. I chose this dealership because its where I picked up the new valve body so if they come back saying something is wrong with it maybe they will be more lenient (most likely not cause it was installed by me and not there service).

I had the option of buying shift solenoids separately but knowing my luck I didn't want to open up that can of worms. Figured Id get the whole package and be good for a bunch of years lol.

My wild guess to the issue is that the new valve body wasn't communicating properly with the original PCM. And maybe when they plugged in their scanner and tried something is what then caused the check engine light and limp mode. And now maybe the new PCM's there trying are crap lol. Idk? lol

I'm always nice lol.

Anyways, I'll see what they say on Monday.

I'm a decent wrench but a bit on the computard side, i'll try reaching out to a mod and see if they could help getting this to the right place.

Thanks again! and i'll keep you guys updated

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies cobra90gt and coronaraptor

Dealer only mentioned that it was a transmission fault code (still very odd as the code was not there before I dropped off the truck). I will call again Monday and ask for more details on the code their getting. I chose this dealership because its where I picked up the new valve body so if they come back saying something is wrong with it maybe they will be more lenient (most likely not cause it was installed by me and not there service).

I had the option of buying shift solenoids separately but knowing my luck I didn't want to open up that can of worms. Figured Id get the whole package and be good for a bunch of years lol.

My wild guess to the issue is that the new valve body wasn't communicating properly with the original PCM. And maybe when they plugged in their scanner and tried something is what then caused the check engine light and limp mode. And now maybe the new PCM's there trying are crap lol. Idk? lol

I'm always nice lol.

Anyways, I'll see what they say on Monday.

I'm a decent wrench but a bit on the computard side, i'll try reaching out to a mod and see if they could help getting this to the right place.

Thanks again! and i'll keep you guys updated
Well Monday is 2 days away, keep us entertained by posting a picture of your Raptor :) , I'm sure all will work out with your Raptor.

OP
OP
K

kennymog

Reaction score
For now thats all the gen1 raptor **** you get coronaraptor!

Lmao, once I get her back from Ford she needs a visit to the body shop than i'll send some exteriors (no fancy mods on the exterior, just stock).

Basically this is how she looks underneath before it went to Ford. I went a little overboard and gave her the 195K mile rehab