New Member / looking to upgrade my 2012 to a 2014 Shelby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main improvement of a ‘13 or ‘14 over your ‘12 is a better Sync system and a modestly strengthened rear frame.

You can install a rear bumpstop kit that will achieve the frame upgrade for under $2000.

Of the two trucks listed, the first one has a lift kit installed. This is bad news if you intend to drive the Raptor like it was meant to be driven ,(high speed off-road)...that truck is an immediate reject due to the now-damaged frame from the lift kit install. If you just want to cruise the strip it’s fine though.

The second truck didn’t last long, apparently. Keep looking, it takes time to find the right one!

OP
OP
Don Rush

Don Rush

Reaction score
Score! I got the second one delivered last week and love it!!! I sold my 2012 locally for $35k and got this one for not much more. Less miles, better condition, more options, SYNC is so much better, better headlights and the super charger gets me 2 mph better! The downside was $1400 shipping and the shocks need rebuilding. I feel kind of lucky considering I bought it site unseen on a gut feeling. If the seller would have detailed it and taken lots of pictures I think he could of got a few thousand dollars more.

Lacajun25

Reaction score
Congrats, I’ve never bought a car off eBay before but it sounds like a $30-$40k roll of the dice that you’ll get a good one. Any particular things you look for to avoid the lemons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Don Rush

Don Rush

Reaction score
Yes! I own West Coast Classic Cougar and for 30 years I have been selling high end 67-73 Mercury Cougars and parts. The number one thing you need to do is get on the phone with a seller. The good ones will under sell their car and not over sell. They will go out of their way to tell you about the day their grand kid spilled a milkshake in the back seat and that there is a defect in the paint that pictures just cannot capture. They will often send you as many pictures as you ask for. Had they of just done all this on the ebay site they would have got bank! This is how I market a car on Bring a Trailer or ebay...
This gives the buyer a ton of confidence but means you the buyer often pay 110% of retail. I have bought many cars in the $10k to $60k range without seeing them first and once in a while it does not turn out so well mostly because you have a 100% legit honest seller but they just have no idea that their is a major problem hidden in their car. One of the best resources is to join a forum like this and be bold enough to ask favors and opinions. Often a board member will drive 40 miles and spend half a Saturday looking over a rig for you just because it is an adventure! I know I have done it for others and enjoyed the experience. I have a series of videos I have done on "what to look for" when buying a Cougar. It would be fun to hook up with a Raptor expert and do one on these trucks.

OP
OP
Don Rush

Don Rush

Reaction score
JIMB99

My 2012 was nothing special, almost all options except graphics, 88k miles. Some high end lighting I really regret not keeping. The Gyro lights were prototypes that never made production, this is my actual truck in the video.