New member Charleston, SC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Sadly nothing exhilarating! Happy to report nothing crazy every happened under my supervision. Spent 10 years on shore duty at Mineshops(Underwater Mines) and 10 years on Sea Duty. Stationed on Coastal Minehunters and Minesweepers. Mineman are the definition of Jack of All Trades on those ships. I've been to 2m school, weapon schools, SONAR school, tons of schools for equipment in CIC and ran that division a year or two. Once I got into the Amory it was my place to be due to lack of experience in the field. Spent most of time in Charleston, SC, Sicily, Ingleside, Tx, San, Diego and did 4 trips of 3 years to Bahrain. Never want to go back to Bahrain aka "tip of the spear". I'll share a few pics...I was on the Heavy Lift ship that took our two Minehunter from Ingleside, Tx to Bahrain. An interesting trip being piggy backed on a Heavy Lift ship. We had just gotten dropped off in Bahrain when the USS Cole got hit and 17 Sailors died, RIP. The same ship came back to pick them up and take them to Gulfport. The next is our MNV or Mine Neutralization Vehicle. It's tethered for power and transits like a sub to the Mine like Object. We can identify the object with cameras. We can cut the cable if it's a moored mine or place a bomblet next to it if it's a bottom mine. Next is a Minesweeper, we got rid of the Hunters..which are actually newer...just a bad design. You see all the sweep gear on the back. The yellow thingy is the SONAR. There is a hole in the ship that allows the SONAR to go down into the water. We have detect and classify which use to hunt for Mines. Being a set-up Mechanic at Bosch pays well and it's easy money but sure is boring. No ups and downs like the Military for excitement.

Here's an article the once wrote on our shop and me in the picture.
Thank You for your Service Sir, much appreciated!