New Member - 2017 Avalanche Grey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKYHI

Reaction score
Hey gang, wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the forum and fellow members. I recently purchased a used 2017 Avalanche Grey Raptor and am overall pleased with the purchase. I was initially going for a 2018 but the dealer happened to have a this unit in on trade and it's my favorite color for the Raptor so I opted for a used 2017. Since purchasing I have had to replace the check valve due to transmission noise and am now faced with the rattle/noise on startup which I have read is due to cam phasers, tensioners etc. I see some members have had to change out the cam phasers, tensioners, etc. and another resolved the issue with a PCM and TCM update. I'll have my local service center perform the update this week and see how that goes. I have kept the dealer I purchased the vehicle from in the loop and they are willing to get me into a silver 2018 if I prefer but just not sure at this point as silver are very common and isn't my first choice honestly. Are these issues something I should take as red flags and just return the vehicle for the 2018 or let the dealer go through the process of rectifying the matters and keep the 2017? Since purchase I have had the vehicle ceramic coated and purchased a 6yr/125k extended warranty. The dealer has agreed to give me $2k off sticker/msrp to compensate for my loss and see that I am happy with my buying experience. I can also receive a full refund on warranty within 60 days so not worried there. I really like the Avalanche Grey but don't want to kick myself in the backside down the road. Thanks for all of the valuable info and look forward to getting to know everyone.

IMG_0907.PNG

IMG_0908.PNG

Last edited:

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is in the shop for a blown motor, it's also a 2017 and only hd 21k miles on it.

Knowing what I know now, and if I was in your position, I'd go ahead with the 18' while you can. I'm now trying to trade in my truck after it gets the new motor, and I'm not able to get the value out of it that I'd like. So on the slight chance you could wind up in that same position, you will regret not getting out while you can.

It's also worth noting that I also had the startup rattle for a month or so before my motor went out.

OP
OP
S

SKYHI

Reaction score
My truck is in the shop for a blown motor, it's also a 2017 and only hd 21k miles on it.

Knowing what I know now, and if I was in your position, I'd go ahead with the 18' while you can. I'm now trying to trade in my truck after it gets the new motor, and I'm not able to get the value out of it that I'd like. So on the slight chance you could wind up in that same position, you will regret not getting out while you can.

It's also worth noting that I also had the startup rattle for a month or so before my motor went out.

Wow!! Sorry to hear and thanks for the information man, exactly why I asked... Best of luck with the repairs and trade, hard to swallow these types of issues on such a vehicle.

smoothdocta

Reaction score
If you’re already dropping this kind of money, might as well go new? The few thousand you save on going used will cost you in the long run? You don’t know how bad the previous owner beat it?

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Sorry to hear and thanks for the information man, exactly why I asked... Best of luck with the repairs and trade, hard to swallow these types of issues on such a vehicle.

Thanks. I felt like I needed to let you know since you're now making the exact decision that I wish I could have the chance to go back and make.

I'm now trying to order a 2019 and having trouble getting full value for the truck since it will have a replaced motor. :(

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but I would go with a new truck provided you can get a full refund. Sounds like your dealer is very reasonable.

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long ago did you buy the truck?

Mine was bought in June and I put over 5k miles on it already so I’m kinda screwed.

OP
OP
S

SKYHI

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but I would go with a new truck provided you can get a full refund. Sounds like your dealer is very reasonable.
Thanks TxRap, yea the dealer really went above and beyond to make sure I was pleased. Ended up taking $3k off msrp, giving me full purchase price of 2017 on trade, and even let me take the forged wheels off the 2017, put the new tires on them and mounted on new one. The 2018 was loaded other than the wheels and bed extender. I think it was a special order for someone who planned on going aftermarket on wheels and deal fell through. Thanks for the input brother! I knew it was the right move, just had a hard time giving up the color.

OP
OP
S

SKYHI

Reaction score
How long ago did you buy the truck?

Mine was bought in June and I put over 5k miles on it already so I’m kinda screwed.
Purchased the truck October 4th, so a couple weeks ago. Since then, I've had to replace the check valve which caused transmission to make grinding noise, sand/dirt in rear sliding window, and then the rattle on startup so I had plenty of signs I needed to ditch it.