New Keyfob programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1FastSUV

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2014 Raptor and was only given one basic key. I went to a Ford dealership and bought a new keyfob but the service department tried to program it, but said they weren't able to program the new key. He said he's never had that problem before and had programmed many keys in the past. He didn't know why it wouldn't let him program it.

I've looked online but every link says I need to have two functioning keys to be able to program a new key.

Is there any way to program a new keyfob without having two original keys? I want to be able to remote start my truck, and be able to unlock the doors without having to use the door codes.

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had to do this on my '13 that I bought used and only had one key (and was a MyKey, luckily without any limits set). No there's no way to program a 2nd key if you just have one, a dealer (maaaybe a locksmith, not sure if they have access to the program) has to do it. Local dealer here charged me $65, the Ford tech used a scan tool in the OBD2 port that connected wirelessly to a laptop, and used Ford diagnostic program (not sure if it's Forscan or what). I guess as a security feature the program makes you wait 10 minutes when adding/erasing coded keys. I wanted to make sure the old key wouldn't work so I had him clear ALL keys and program the two new ones, both now work perfect. Incidentally, I bought the new key on amazon from a Ford dealer for about $100, had a local key company cut it. Anyway I'm thinking your only option is to try another dealer. Good luck.

OP
OP

1FastSUV

Reaction score
Just had to do this on my '13 that I bought used and only had one key (and was a MyKey, luckily without any limits set). No there's no way to program a 2nd key if you just have one, a dealer (maaaybe a locksmith, not sure if they have access to the program) has to do it. Local dealer here charged me $65, the Ford tech used a scan tool in the OBD2 port that connected wirelessly to a laptop, and used Ford diagnostic program (not sure if it's Forscan or what). I guess as a security feature the program makes you wait 10 minutes when adding/erasing coded keys. I wanted to make sure the old key wouldn't work so I had him clear ALL keys and program the two new ones, both now work perfect. Incidentally, I bought the new key on amazon from a Ford dealer for about $100, had a local key company cut it. Anyway I'm thinking your only option is to try another dealer. Good luck.

Damn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info tho. Using the door codes is a pain in the a.. It's better than having to unlock it with the key, but still a PITA.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info tho. Using the door codes is a pain in the a.. It's better than having to unlock it with the key, but still a PITA.

So the one key you have, doesn't have the fob & buttons for keyless entry/remote start??? Or it does and they don't function?

Yes door code beats the shit out of unlocking with key (better be quick to start it or it'll start honking like crazy lol), and the key cylinder is notorious for not working randomly.

You could give the same dealer another try, when I first got there they said it can be finicky (not sure if it's hardware or software, they used an older Panasonic Toughbook, coulda been WinXP I didn't get a close look), and it took a couple tries to make the initial connection...there too another dealer might have a better setup.

OP
OP

1FastSUV

Reaction score
So the one key you have, doesn't have the fob & buttons for keyless entry/remote start??? Or it does and they don't function?

Yes door code beats the shit out of unlocking with key (better be quick to start it or it'll start honking like crazy lol), and the key cylinder is notorious for not working randomly.

You could give the same dealer another try, when I first got there they said it can be finicky (not sure if it's hardware or software, they used an older Panasonic Toughbook, coulda been WinXP I didn't get a close look), and it took a couple tries to make the initial connection...there too another dealer might have a better setup.

I was only given the regular key, without any buttons. I purchased a keyfob ($160) from the Ford dealership in hopes that it'd be a simple fix. The technician didn't seem very excited to program it, but he said he'd do it. It was around 4:15pm when he came out and told me he wasn't having any luck. He said he'd have to research it but it was "almost quittin time" and he wouldn't be able to do it. They close at 5:00pm so I'm guessing he just didn't want to put forth the effort. Glad I didn't by the truck from them.

I'm gonna see if there's a different Ford dealership closer to home, and give them a try. I've tried all the suggestions from the online community but none of them have worked. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I learned about the "door unlock/engine start" security feature the hard way. Lights flashing, horn blaring at the Turnpike rest area in front of a bunch of people. It wasn't quite as bad as my other vehicle's security issue. I have an 06 Jeep SRT8 and it locks the doors about 3 seconds after you start the engine. I was cleaning the engine bay one day and started the Jeep to burn off excess water in the engine bay. I started it in the garage and immediately got out and closed the door. As soon as it slammed shut I heard the doors click locked. I had to call a local locksmith to unlock my running vehicle, that was sitting in my garage. :-(

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was only given the regular key, without any buttons. I purchased a keyfob ($160) from the Ford dealership in hopes that it'd be a simple fix. The technician didn't seem very excited to program it, but he said he'd do it. It was around 4:15pm when he came out and told me he wasn't having any luck. He said he'd have to research it but it was "almost quittin time" and he wouldn't be able to do it. They close at 5:00pm so I'm guessing he just didn't want to put forth the effort. Glad I didn't by the truck from them.

I'm gonna see if there's a different Ford dealership closer to home, and give them a try. I've tried all the suggestions from the online community but none of them have worked. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I learned about the "door unlock/engine start" security feature the hard way. Lights flashing, horn blaring at the Turnpike rest area in front of a bunch of people. It wasn't quite as bad as my other vehicle's security issue. I have an 06 Jeep SRT8 and it locks the doors about 3 seconds after you start the engine. I was cleaning the engine bay one day and started the Jeep to burn off excess water in the engine bay. I started it in the garage and immediately got out and closed the door. As soon as it slammed shut I heard the doors click locked. I had to call a local locksmith to unlock my running vehicle, that was sitting in my garage. :-(

LOL! At least on the Raptor you can disable the autolock, but even then I think it waits until you hit 10-15mph. My daughter's boyfriend has a Silverado that likes to lock itself whenever it feels like it...out in the boonies...those windows are a bitch to break when they are all rolled up ;)

$160, ouch. As far as I know you can program a third key once you get that new one done, even using the fobless key (would make a great spare or hide-a-key), as I think the process in the manual is just a matter of turning the ignition on & off a time or two and repeating with the second key then the third. Hopefully another dealer can get it done right. Anyway this is the one I got, a little cheaper:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QL6C9FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP

1FastSUV

Reaction score
LOL! At least on the Raptor you can disable the autolock, but even then I think it waits until you hit 10-15mph. My daughter's boyfriend has a Silverado that likes to lock itself whenever it feels like it...out in the boonies...those windows are a bitch to break when they are all rolled up ;)

$160, ouch. As far as I know you can program a third key once you get that new one done, even using the fobless key (would make a great spare or hide-a-key), as I think the process in the manual is just a matter of turning the ignition on & off a time or two and repeating with the second key then the third. Hopefully another dealer can get it done right. Anyway this is the one I got, a little cheaper:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QL6C9FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lol, I'm sure it's a little cold driving back from the boonies with the window down, err broken.

That's exactly the same key the dealership charged me $160 for. I wouldn't have minded if they would've been able to get it working. I'm sure I'll hafta pay the new dealership to program it too. I guess money's only paper till you spend it.

Darkalley

Reaction score
So did anyone ever find a way to program just the one key?? I can’t find my second key! I have 1 old key and one new one!