GEN 2 New guy, trading mustang for first raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hghlndr85

Reaction score
Hey guys im new here and have been gathering some info.So I have always wanted a raptor. Right now I have a 15 xterra pro4x and my 16 mustang gt. I am only owner of my car. It's procharged.full lth,exhaust,injectors,clutch,ford racing suspension. Car is babied. And I love it. However. I hardly ever drive it. In fact I have driven it 6 times this year. It sits in garage all the time.the xterra is my goto for fishing.towing boat.kayaks,dogs. I have a 3 month old baby now ,a 13 yr old step daughter and life is changing. More time working and less for car shows with the wife. It is not practical of comfortable to put him in the mustang. I recently started looking at raptors as a mix of power,practical use and luxury comforts it has much more room then the xterra does. Right now I found a one owner 18 leadfoot gray loaded with 802a package.low miles certified used with warranty. I would only have to finance about 12k giving up the stang and xterra for it. This has been a tough back and forth choice. I'm looking for some honest input and ideas here. I'm sure I will regret selling the mustang at certain times. But is it worth keeping if it's just sitting in garage? Or does the raptor seem like a practical choice?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im new here and have been gathering some info.So I have always wanted a raptor. Right now I have a 15 xterra pro4x and my 16 mustang gt. I am only owner of my car. It's procharged.full lth,exhaust,injectors,clutch,ford racing suspension. Car is babied. And I love it. However. I hardly ever drive it. In fact I have driven it 6 times this year. It sits in garage all the time.the xterra is my goto for fishing.towing boat.kayaks,dogs. I have a 3 month old baby now ,a 13 yr old step daughter and life is changing. More time working and less for car shows with the wife. It is not practical of comfortable to put him in the mustang. I recently started looking at raptors as a mix of power,practical use and luxury comforts it has much more room then the xterra does. Right now I found a one owner 18 leadfoot gray loaded with 802a package.low miles certified used with warranty. I would only have to finance about 12k giving up the stang and xterra for it. This has been a tough back and forth choice. I'm looking for some honest input and ideas here. I'm sure I will regret selling the mustang at certain times. But is it worth keeping if it's just sitting in garage? Or does the raptor seem like a practical choice?
Depends how much that Xterras worth, if only a couple grand than I'd keep it as a secondary car. That Mustang I'd put on Bring A Trailer since it sounds very low mileage with some nice mods.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly that same boat I was in. Procharged 2015 Mustang GT with 13K miles loaded and MINT with every mod I wanted in a Mustang. Never drove it...sat in the garage. Had an 18 low milage 4x4 XLT at the time. Sold the Mustang for 34k and traded the truck in and put 22k cash down on a 2020 Raptor. I had 17K positive equity in my 18 so payments are less than what I was paying on the XLT. I have zero regrets and doubt I will ever own a car again.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 87171697_10157862268885928_9096528527183839232_n.jpg
    87171697_10157862268885928_9096528527183839232_n.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 20

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really tough choice for sure, and I can relate with a 2.5 year old and another on the way. I’d consolidate both and get the raptor, then later when time and finances permit, add a mustang back.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I don't have to make that choice yet. My '13 GT is babied and sits in the garage most of the time as well. BUT, I'm moving to nicer weather later this month so maybe I'll drive it more now :shrug:

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you driven the Raptor yet? It's quick FOR A TRUCK but don't expect Mustang-esque levels. I originally approached it with the idea similar to yours of consolidating, but rapidly decided I would keep my car. Only you know your finances and if it's worth it to trade and still finance. Xterras have held their value quite well and you can probably get good money for it shopping it around a bit.

Medic 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes man, I’d keep the Xterra. I’ve had plenty of Mustangs over the years, you’ll get another one sometime. You gotta do what works for you brother, no matter what the rest of us think. Lol.

anity93

Reaction score
I just sold my mustang and bought a raptor (gen3 37 not gen2 as you mentioned) but going from a daily driver 16 mustang manual GT to a more practical truck that still has some get up. I did it to take advantage of the used car market and get something more practical for the family. Not the same scenario but I don’t regret it so far! At the end of the day have to do what’s best for the family. Mustangs are also a dime a dozen compared to raptors.

OP
OP
H

Hghlndr85

Reaction score
Well i did it. Owner of a 18 Leadfoot supercrew 802A raptor. Super clean one owner. I could not really say no to the deal I got. I got over what I paid for both vehicles in trade so it was smart financially. I do miss the mustang but I will get another one one day.