New General Grabber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, you've got 42,000 miles on your OEM BFG A/T KOs -that's great!

I haven't read any new reviews from users of the Generals so I'd check that since you know what the BFG will do. Only concern I have is weight difference but I do like the way they look.

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the decision to stick with the stock BFGs today. Generals are cool, but I don't want 20 extra pounds on each corner. I think the ultimate goal here is to get a set of race wheels (Method Desert Truck Beadlocks) and tires (BFG Baja T/A Projects) then swap those on when it's time for desert fun.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How likely do you think it is to get pulled over and the Baja or Projects inspected and ticketed for? I hear they aren't bad on the road even though they're not DOT approved? I want to go with a 37 and love the Generals, but that weight is holding me back. I'm not too worried about lifespan because I don't put that many miles on mine and if they flat spot over time I'm sure they will round out during the first drive on the highway like boggers or most mud tires. FFS

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FFS, how much do the 37" Generals weigh? The 35" Generals are, I think, about 20 pounds more than the BFGs. How much more are the 37s?

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the Projects:

0601or_14_z+v8_a_arm_baja_bug_red_hot_runner+35_inch_bfg_projects.jpg

And I was also worried about the weight of the Generals, but I found out the Projects weigh about 150 lbs each. I guess when you design a tire to be bullet proof during the Baja 1000, you get some un-sprung weight to go along with it.

Since I have the 5.4, and I feel it's already underpowered on the street, I'm sticking with the OEM tires around town, and I'll take the BFGs off road, where I don't notice the lack of power most the time.

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the Projects have the ribbed side-walls (more consistent at speed), and have a different tread pattern. They may also have a softer compound, but again, this is all IIRC.

Anyone know for sure?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How likely do you think it is to get pulled over and the Baja or Projects inspected and ticketed for? I hear they aren't bad on the road even though they're not DOT approved? I want to go with a 37 and love the Generals, but that weight is holding me back. I'm not too worried about lifespan because I don't put that many miles on mine and if they flat spot over time I'm sure they will round out during the first drive on the highway like boggers or most mud tires. FFS

One subtle point... The DOT doesn't inspect or approve. The DOT simply publishes the specifications and the manufacturer certifies their product meets the DOT specs.

And manufacturers sometimes choose not to issue the certification even if their product meets or exceeds DOT specs. Maybe it's a warranty issue. Or maybe these off road tires tend to run hot on the pavement vs. in the dirt. Could be anything.

I'm not sure too many cops would notice a tire without the DOT stamp. But if they do, you'll probably be towed.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last two times I was pulled over I had expired inspection and registration stickers on my car and did not get ticketed. Dan still as dearler tags on his truck... pretty sure the DOT tag will generally be a non issue.