GEN 2 New Gen 2 Owner Seeking Tips and Validation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JC2458

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forum but I have a few questions…

Disclaimer- Probably gonna be a long winded post.

But essentially- I was a little overwhelmed with the raptor market. I looked long and hard at Gen 3’s but couldnt find any at MSRP in my area- except used models- which I couldnt stomach paying MSRP for a truck w/ 30K miles! Gen 1 tech was not up to par for what I wanted as a daily. Gen 2 is probably my favorite raptor gen based off of design. Its a great looking truck. So- I started looking closely at Gen 2’s. Not too many out there in the low mileage range. I ended up narrowing it down to just 2- both in lightning blue.

The first one was from a Chevy/Ford dealer 20 mins away from me- It was a one owner truck with 48K miles (2018 Blue). Cosmetically it was great- there was a small touched up scratch on the tailgate but that was it! It did have a small lighting set up already hooked up, brand new KO2’s, and a very detailed service history (which the original selling dealer was able to verify)- it had been meticulously maintained. I was definitely swayed by the maintenance history and the convenience factor here. And the fresh tires of course. I ended up purchasing this truck for $57K (Keep in mind that prices are high here in WA state)- original asking was $59.7K

The second truck I was looking at was also a blue 2018- around an hour 1/2 away- it had all the same options as the first except it also had the carbon fiber package, tech package (which is eh), and the hood graphics package- other than the carbon fiber- I didnt really care for/need the other options. Cosmetically it was about the same as the first. The kicker with this truck though is that it only had 33K miles- but was still on the original tires. 2 owners- It also had very little service history and the odo was last reported in 2019 at 7K miles… Hmm… Listed at $59.9K- dealer was firm as far as I could tell.

I know this is a moot point- but did I make the right choice? I am still kind of reeling about this but in my mind- I figured it is better to go on one with history and 15K more miles- which for these trucks doesnt seem like a huge difference mileage wise.

I bought a Ford ESP extended warranty separate from the dealer BUT- I want to spoil this truck- any tips on maintenance and how to make sure Im keeping the engine in good order? Things to look out for on the eco boost engines other than cam phasers? Ive owned two F150’s in the past including a 5.4 triton- so Im certainly no stranger to the cam phaser issue.
If you made it this far, thanks for reading my new book!!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius.

Use the search fiture in the top right. Tons of good information on here, just have to look.

Stanstyle

Reaction score
Pretty new to the forum and the raptor world myself just dropping by to say congratulations and it’s a good looking truck. The guys in the forum have been a big help to me and I’m sure they will get you pointed in the right direction.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
#OneLessprius

change oil about every 5k, use synthetic. Ignore the owner’s manual ‘up to 10k mile intervals’, even those of us who baby the truck cane it enough to warrant more frequent changes. LOTS of mechanics out there will echo this advice.

if you have a moon roof, pop to vent position first, all the time, every time. then close, then move to the rear if you don’t hear any strange noises.

Expect the transmission to not like it if you start beating on the truck before it’s warmed up.