New Gen 2 Owner - Day 1 problems...[resolved, hopefully]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoDucks

Reaction score
Since it has an aftermarket intake and intercooler pipes, I'd go through and make sure everything is fitted properly and no disconnected parts.

When I had a 2015 Ecoboost Lariat truck, I put on an intake and when I got on it on the freeway I heard a loud pop then loss of power and sputtering. I looked closely and the pipe connection to my throttle body came undone. So stupid of me. I didn't tighten things good enough and the pressure caused the pipe to pop off. Anyways, that's my experience, loose vacuum will cause problems.

OP
OP
EricEst1978

EricEst1978

Reaction score
Appreciate all the responses. Dealer called back this evening and thus far seems super cooperative, like they genuinely want to make it right. They are based outside of Austin and I'm in N. Dallas. They found a well reviewed shop in my area, called ahead and made arrangements for me to take the vehicle to them to pull the codes and check the truck out at their cost.

They said, depending on what the issue is, if needed, they'll drive a loaner vehicle out to me (approx 220 mi. away), drop it off and pick up the truck to take it for whatever repairs it needs to make it right. They insured me multiple times that the truck will be fixed and they will make it right. They haven't offered to unwind the deal and I haven't pushed for it yet based on the terrific communication and how sincere and quick to react they've been so far. Guess I'll know more tomorrow but I'm hoping for a positive outcome.

Again, thanks for all the comments so far, you all have been super helpful and I appreciate the info!

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good luck man, keep us posted. Could just be a wonky clamp… but not off to a good start on an expensive vehicle. The PPI didnt see the mods? What gives?

OP
OP
EricEst1978

EricEst1978

Reaction score
Good luck man, keep us posted. Could just be a wonky clamp… but not off to a good start on an expensive vehicle. The PPI didnt see the mods? What gives?
The intake would be hard to miss and they did tell me about the exhaust but nobody mentioned the intercooler and when I asked the dealer about the mods, they specifically said it hadn't been tuned, which I'll assume they believed to be the truth, but that's obviously not the case given the note I found from the original owner.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The intake would be hard to miss and they did tell me about the exhaust but nobody mentioned the intercooler and when I asked the dealer about the mods, they specifically said it hadn't been tuned, which I'll assume they believed to be the truth, but that's obviously not the case given the note I found from the original owner.

A lot of the CAI result in thrown DTC’s, pressure, sensor readings out of range, etc.

If the tune was heavy on the boost, the plugs are probably gapped shorter to make the truck run under heavy boost. It shouldn’t be an issue under normal conditions ( or tuned trucks would run like $hit most of the time ) but if the truck was caned pretty hard and the plugs are worn, maybe you have something there.

@Gen1TillDeath previously pointed out that the PO cared enough to make a list of the mods, which I generally agree with, but then traded the truck ???
things that make you go “hmm....” Either way, it sounds like the stealership is trying to right the ship here, definitely take advantage of this.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of the CAI result in thrown DTC’s, pressure, sensor readings out of range, etc.

If the tune was heavy on the boost, the plugs are probably gapped shorter to make the truck run under heavy boost. It shouldn’t be an issue under normal conditions ( or tuned trucks would run like $hit most of the time ) but if the truck was caned pretty hard and the plugs are worn, maybe you have something there.

@Gen1TillDeath previously pointed out that the PO cared enough to make a list of the mods, which I generally agree with, but then traded the truck ???
things that make you go “hmm....” Either way, it sounds like the stealership is trying to right the ship here, definitely take advantage of this.
Yeah I guess there is 2 schools of thought here. I can also see a shady side of it too. Yeah it does sound like the dealership you’re dealing with is trying to be helpful

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with a 2013 CTSV that was modified slightly. Right after I purchased the car I was driving it home and the car broke up on any moderate to hard acceleration. The ECU was flashed back to stock. I brought the car to a tuner. They identified all of the modifications and did a custom Dyno tune and had it running great for the rest of the time I owned it. cost me about 500 bucks. Not saying you have to do this but if the dealer can't solve the issue hit up a well known tuner in your area or goosetuned and hopefully that solves your issues before you go tearing things apart. Just my two cents.