GEN 2 NEW Cam Phasers still cold start rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfemti33

Reaction score
I bought a 2018 Raptor recently with their full warranty. 6 weeks in had the new full cam phaser replacement with VCT and PCM flash. Go out this morning and still have a cold start rattle for 20ish seconds. The truck was initially experiencing occasional rough idle and loss of power with the rattle which is why I took it in. That, so far, hasn't come back but it's only been 50 miles. it also feels a bit sluggish and I notice an ever so slight roughness when I floor it. It's barely noticeable and I may just be so overly sensitive but it feels like it's intermittent through the power band instead of smooth. Call back into the dealership and waiting for response. Any thoughts in what else it could be or how I should proceed?

OP
OP
S

sfemti33

Reaction score
Well, the check engine light came on as I was driving so I drove it back to the dealership and got upper management involved. Now they're saying one of the timing solenoids is going out explaining my issues today. They are more than apologetic and doing everything they can to fix it, with no out of pocket to me. Hoping this fixes the rest of the issues.

They explained the rattle as waste gate rattle and I have them investigating tsb 20-2016 for the 2017 year to see if they have something similar to address it (guess it requires a spring or clamp) but I've also found a do it yourself spring fix on the forums too. As I said, only happens In the morning after not driving it so we shall see.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude… make them take that garbage back. Do not keep that truck. Someone traded a problem truck and now you are left holding it. Return or dump.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the check engine light came on as I was driving so I drove it back to the dealership and got upper management involved. Now they're saying one of the timing solenoids is going out explaining my issues today. They are more than apologetic and doing everything they can to fix it, with no out of pocket to me. Hoping this fixes the rest of the issues.

They explained the rattle as waste gate rattle and I have them investigating tsb 20-2016 for the 2017 year to see if they have something similar to address it (guess it requires a spring or clamp) but I've also found a do it yourself spring fix on the forums too. As I said, only happens In the morning after not driving it so we shall see.
Can you reference this spring fix for the wastegate? I think I have a pretty consistent wastegate rattle - it’s been this way for 20k miles and hasn’t impacted drivability, just irritating to hear when you drive through narrow alleyways where the echo can be heard.