New brakes; EBC brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 37's its a different story the brakes do not perform as well as when I had my 35's. So I am starting EBC pads.

I hope the pads help and I do not end up with a full brake kit.

Yep that makes much more sense to me. If you've gone to taller rubber you're going to need more brake to combat the larger torque arm.

To other points that have been made, I realize brakes can have better initial bite or feel, and that they can dissipate heat better. Feel is subjective and I don't think I'd pay a couple grand just for a bit more initial bite on a truck. Heat dissipation matters a lot for most performance vehicles but not to the Raptor IMO. Unless you're doing desert course racing with it or for some reason attempting autocross with it, you're unlikely to be smashing the brakes, flooring it, smashing the brakes, flooring it over and over.

OP
OP
Booth9999

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I’m on the second set of pads at 45k. Another beautiful thing about living in the mountains, tires and brakes go fast. I had ford install new pads at 30k but they did not turn the rotors and I have developed a good wobble in the breaks and I’m over them, So I figured I’d give them a shot on the rap. Not trying to upgrade to get better of faster stops just trying to get them to last a bit longer. 30k a set is a little rough. That being said the parts are only about $600 more than stock and I’m doing the labor so it should end up being a push price wise. I don’t want to mess with big break kits, bigger rims, and possibly steering components. Price wise the big brakes end up being close to $7000 All in so this seems quite a bit easier to swallow.
Just throwing this up for everyone to see a reasonable option and are better than stock.

wes127

Reaction score
Anyone have any break in or long term reviews on these? Thinking about putting them on my 2018 but I keep hearing they squeak a ton.

OP
OP
Booth9999

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
They lasted me to 68,000, there was plenty left but I was sick of the noise so I just had all new pads and rotors at Ford with a fluid flush. I would do them again but just get the standard green pads, I got the orange and they were too aggressive and noise. I just did not have time to do it my self this time.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wes127,

Not trying to bag on anyone or their product, but I've never had what I'd call stellar results with EBC on my or former customers vehicles. Much better luck with Ferodo (no raptor pad I'm aware of), Hawk, Porterfield, Brembo, Stoptech, Powerstop, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Better yet, pretty sure Freedom if not many other vendors here offer decent Pad/rotor packages with less draw backs AND Raptor specific experience. Again, I know there are those who love EBC but with my wide range of experience of many different manufacturers and platforms, I'd suggest a little more research before committing. Also, don't forget the support of the forum vendors. I've personally had great experiences with Nick of Apollo Optics, others with Freedom, and I'm sure others as well.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a history of track events and I too believe in brakes and how they are very subjective.

I can lock up brakes on any car so the argument is not the brakes are already overpowering the truck. The brake cycles, initial bite, the stopping modulation all are factors and attributes of non-OEM brakes, So I completely agree with trying new rotor / pad setups.

I kinda laugh at the people concerned about cost. How many times do you read “you don’t buy a 7x.000 truck and worry about [enter expense here]. I see guys spending 1500 on lights for driving in the country at 45 mph or on trails. Funny I spend 500$ on pads for a long weekend at the track so 1300 for 40-50K miles sounds pretty good

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MRV99,

Yes, I don't believe people put enough emphasis on brakes. I really, Really, REALLY wish I could get the Ferodo DS2500 compound for this truck. For one of my other cars I was spending about $300 just for a front set. However, they were worth three times that IMO. My all time favorite street pad!

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MRV99,

Yes, I don't believe people put enough emphasis on brakes. I really, Really, REALLY wish I could get the Ferodo DS2500 compound for this truck. For one of my other cars I was spending about $300 just for a front set. However, they were worth three times that IMO. My all time favorite street pad!
I agree. I used to run PFC08 which were fine when I was a novice but once I started picking up speed and my times dropped, I ended up moving to Ferodo and my speeds increased even more. That initial bite was not enough and unnerving which causes me to not brake optimally. I completely understand just how much brakes mean but if you only know OEM then it is hard to understand

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahh, a discussion on brakes. I'd almost rather engage in this than have ..... Well, almost.

When I first became a track rat in my 2020 911T, my very first track day, what impressed me most about the vehicle's performance? The engine? Nope. The steering? Nope. The suspension? Nope. Though all 3 were a close 2nd.

What was the most impressive and what will save your bacon? Yep, brakes.

When you are doing 130-150 down the front or back straight, depending on the track, you darn well better have a great set of brakes, brakes that don't know the meaning of fade, brakes that are and feel consistent from press to press.

Upon arriving home after 2 days at Watkins Glen International Raceway, I immediately called a friend of mine who literally and figuratively eats, sleeps and drinks Porsche. He's a bit of a wacko. Nothing in life is more important to him than his Porsches. He's owned Porsches for over 50 years. I couldn't wait to tell him about the brakes and how impressive they were. He was like, "My friend, Porsche is known for their brakes for decades, not for their engines or anything else, but for their brakes."

Last year I bought a 2020 M5. The front rotors were the size of a large pizza pie. Huge, I tell ya. Yet from the moment I drove it out of the dealership I felt a hitch, a bit of a stick, almost like a lump upon first touch of the brake pedal. I hated it from day one. When I complained about it on first service, the mechanic texted me a video with him under the car bragging about how big the rotors were. What an f'in *****. As if that had anything to do with my complaint. jackwagon. I wound up trading it for a 2021 Cayenne GTS which once again has brakes that are a thing of beauty.