New 2020 with off centered axel. Yours is too.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
LOL WTF are replacement u bolts gonna do?

I'm thinking the bolts are like practically every major fastener on a new Ford product and are one-time use torque-to-yield. If so, the dealer must replace them if they are loosened to "align" the rear axle...(?)

As for the OP problem, vehicles with a live rear axle are practically never perfectly aligned due to the leaf spring is the only structural component keeping the live axle "aligned". Leaf springs also have a lot more "stiction" between the leaves, so depending on the last movement of the rear springs as you stop and get out, you will almost certainly see a difference in measurements for each side. To get a realistic measurement for ride height or axle location, you will need to seriously compress and release the rear suspension of the truck.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be an intentional offset to keep the u-joint needle bearings happy.

Pittbug

Reaction score
As for the OP problem, vehicles with a live rear axle are practically never perfectly aligned due to the leaf spring is the only structural component keeping the live axle "aligned". Leaf springs also have a lot more "stiction" between the leaves, so depending on the last movement of the rear springs as you stop and get out, you will almost certainly see a difference in measurements for each side. To get a realistic measurement for ride height or axle location, you will need to seriously compress and release the rear suspension of the truck.

So if I take a hard right turn on tarmac, the axle could shift to the right/passenger side by almost an inch and stay there? If so, would it also float to the other side, meaning that it has almost 2 inches of lateral "slop"? This is my first truck and I'm not familiar with leaf spring/live axle rear ends.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, he is saying the spring stack itself shifts as it locates the axle laterally while driving. The leaves are not welded together. The spring stack is also not 100% rigidly attached to the truck, there is rubber in the shackles. There's not much play in all of that though- I'd guess maybe 1/8" each way?

Pittbug

Reaction score
Picked up the truck today. Here's the narrative from the dealer:

"Excessive thrust angle caused by rear axle shift confirmed customer complaint of rear axle being shifted to the right. Lifted vehicle, removed tires, measured from frame to hub. Found axle shifted .5 inch to the right. Was necessary to remove and replace the U bolts and shift the rear axle to the left. After shifting axle measured from frame rails to hubs and axle is now centered correctly. Was necessary to perform an alignment after this. Prior rear thrust angle was .22 degrees, after adjustment thrust angle was .13 degrees. Also needed to set front toe LF prior was .18 after .10 RF prior -.11 after adjustment .11. Vehicle wheels now centered correctly and the steer ahead is at 0 deg."