New 2013 SCREW First Thoughts / Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrous Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I finally caught a break in work to sit down and write down my first impressions of my new Raptor. Bringing it back from Houston to Midland, the first thing that impressed me was the power of the 6.2L. This thing is unbeilvable, passing cars was no issue. I also realized that the truck is extremely smooth on the road compared to my 2004 F-150 FX-4 that I traded in for the Raptor. After getting to Midland, I headed out to a rig the following morning. When I first got off the highway on to the dirt lease road, (which is horribly bumpy with huge washouts and potholes, Rasco can confirm this) I immediately got a smile on my face due to how well the Raptor handled the road compared to my old truck. While going down the road, I really wasn't paying attention to my speed but started coming up on other vehicles in front of me very quickly so I looked down and realized I was going 65 lol. So far, I couldn't be happier with the Blue Flame Metallic color, Blue Accent Interior, and having a Crew Cab vs. a Super Cab like my previous truck. I had the factory Ford tri-fold tonneau cover installed and the fit and finish seem excellent as well as its ability to keep out water and dust.

The only issue that I noticed when test driving it at the dealership was that both the front and rear cameras have staticy lines going across the top of the screen and occasionally when I am in reverse my screen will start scrolling down the image over and over, it is strange, hard to explain. The dealership said that Ford is only aware of 2 F-150s that have this issue, my Raptor and a regular F-150 that they got a couple of weeks before. They are trying to figure out what is wrong with his then going to make the same fix on mine. They already changed out the camera on his which didn't help. The next possible fix is to change some control unit out that the cameras tie into, and if that doesn't help they said they may have to do a full re-wire behind the dash. Hopefully that conrtol unit will fix it. Very dissapointed the vehicle was able to leave the factory with that not being checked or noticed as it happens 100% of the time.

Now the problems after being on this rig for a couple of weeks and making three or four trips to town on this lease road...

1. My truck seems to be a lot "rougher" on the lease road now then when I first bought it, I have tried going faster, going slower, it just feels rougher in general to me. It almost feels like my old truck now

2. I have a rattle in my drivers door by the back that is driving me crazy, when I open the door and hit it with my hand it makes the same noise. After searching on here, I am assuming its the locking rod and if I take the door panel off and wrap it in some foam it will make it go away but its still frustrating that the truck only has 1000 miles on it and its already rattling.

3. My air conditoned seats don't seam to be blowing out the back of the seat at all. Compared to when I first bought it, it is night and day different. I searched the forum for related issues, found the zip-tie mod for the fan in the back of the seat but mine seams to be in there pretty tight already. A couple of things I noticed: if I turn the A/C off and turn the A/C Seats on, the back blows hard, but when I turn the A/C on, the air flow goes to nothing again.... strange.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my purchase and this truck is amazing but I am extremely OCD about things and the above problems I mentioned are driving me crazy.

If anybody has any thoughts on what the above issues please let me know. Thanks

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Enjoy the truck but it is a Ford. These things happen. Take it in and get it fixed.

A word to the wise if you plan on keeping it for several years, drive 20 or 30k a year and Keeping It Stock BUY the extended warranty! It will most likely pay for itself many times over. I have had failures but none were modification related.

Last edited:

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your navigation or video screen is bad and needs to be replaced... Congrats on the new ride and welcome, by the way... Go get your old truck take it down that road, and you will quickly remember why you got a Raptor...

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck man it's really a step above anything else! And with it being so new don't hesitate to take it to the dealer to get things fixed that's what a warranty is for!

OP
OP
Nitrous Kyle

Nitrous Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy the truck but it is a Ford. These things happen. Take it in and get it fixed.

A word to the wise if you plan on keeping it for several years, drive 20 or 30k a year and Keeping It Stock BUY the extended warranty! It will most likely pay for itself many times over. I have had failures but none were modification related.

Thanks for the advice guys, and I did get the 125,000 / 7 year extended warranty because my job has me driving a fair amount. The more I think about it, I did take my old truck down this same lease road and it was quite a bit more violent lol so I guess I shouldn't be complaining. Like I said the truck is absoloutely amazing and I am sure once I get the small things fixed I will love it even more.

As far as the navigation or video screen being out, when I am just using the navigation / climate control / entertainment, the screen looks fine, it is only when I switch to the cameras when it messes up, that is why the dealership was assuming it has something to do with the unit that the cameras tie in to. They had a name for it but I forgot it. I will be calling them today to check on the status of the other F-150 that has the same issue. As of last week the guy hadn't brought it back in to get worked on yet. I am glad they can experiment with his truck on how to fix the problem without destroying mine. :peace:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you are the only vehicle that has driven down the road from the first "Impressive pass" to the next time when you thought your truck got rough.... There is a good chance the road has changed, not your truck.