[Nevada/California] Minden to Tonopah to Las Vegas to Salton City Late February Early March 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is that time of year again when I start planning a trip for late February to early March (depending on the tdsdesertsafari.com date which is to be scheduled soon). I would like to take the route from Minden to Las Vegas via Tonopah with the possibility of an excursion out to Area 51. From Las Vegas, I would take the the asphalt to Salton City where the TDS is being held.

I would be interested in organizing a group who would like to meet up to do this. There were two trucks last year and we had a good time making the trip.

DM me if you are interested in a trip around that time and I will follow up with specific dates.

Here are some pictures of the trip last year:

3F3A5551.jpg

3F3A5540.jpg

PXL_20210303_164013262.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210302_201714634.jpg

3F3A5567 (1).jpg

OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The schedule is looking like this:
  • March 2: Minden to Tonopah
  • March 3: Tonopah to Vegas via a South-Westerly route to Southern Vegas or a South-Easterly route through Area 51 to Northern Vegas (group will decide once everyone has checked in).
  • March 4: (Optional) Vegas to Thermal, Tierra Del Sol for the weekend.
Truck requirements if you would like to participate in the ride:
  • All truck maintenance should be done. Truck should be in good working order.
  • VHF radio.
  • GPS (Lowrance preferred).
  • 1 - 2 full size spare tires.
  • Minimum of 5 gallons of extra fuel.
  • Auxiliary lighting (chase lights are preferred, unlikely to run in the dark, but extra lights are always great).
Accommodations:
  • I plan to stay at lodges/hotels throughout the trip (Minden, Tonopah, Las Vegas). Accommodation suggestions will be provided for your review.
Pace of run:
  • This isn't a race, it is just a fun trip where you can drive your truck the way it was meant to be driven. Easy going, fun attitudes with mechanical aptitudes welcome. Hot-heads and bros need not apply.
Direct mail me if you want to commit to the ride and I will make sure you get the info you need to meet up with the group and be able to participate. I won't follow up to "interested" responses to this thread since it is hard for me to keep track of who is really interested that way. The first 5 people who mail me and commit to the trip will make up the group, others will be put on a waitlist if someone bails.

Hope to see you out there!

OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler so ability should not be an issue
The trails themselves would pose no problem for a Wrangler. Depending on if your rig is stock or modified would determine how fast you could cover ground. I would guess the wheelbase (and stock suspension) of a Wrangler would make for a pretty rough 500 miles though. But don't listen to me, I'm the guy who drags his Raptor around on Jeep trails so I am in no position to say a Jeep doesn't belong on "Raptor trails" :)

If you are seriously considering coming, a high watt VHF radio would be important to keep in contact with the rest of the group in case there becomes a greater separation between trucks.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Jeep Wrangler is mostly stock. It's the 4xe so its electric and turbo 4cyl. Single tank range is about 350 miles. I have the quad band 50 watt vhf radio installed. I programmed several people with Raptors radios for them. Not sure what channel you may want to use weatherman is common. I can run about 90 miles an hour with out too much effort. Do have a 13k winch also in case of emergency. I also have all recovery gear and first aid kit battalion size. I'm hoping I can make this trip...