GEN 2 Net gain with collars? Post your results.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tried to install my 1.5" collars and failed. I could not get the perch up high enough to get the collar in. Struggled for 4 hours, put it back to stock. Super annoying but that is how it goes sometimes. I also managed to somehow **** up the stickers on the shock too with the movement of the perch.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Well I tried to install my 1.5" collars and failed. I could not get the perch up high enough to get the collar in. Struggled for 4 hours, put it back to stock. Super annoying but that is how it goes sometimes. I also managed to somehow **** up the stickers on the shock too with the movement of the perch.

With springs compressed and suspended with a ratchet strap, hit the perch from the bottom with a block of wood and a ball peen or 2lb hammer. Perch will slide up far enough to remove perch clips. My guess is you did not have the spring pulled up high enough with the strap so the weight of the spring would not allow you to get the perch up high enough to get the new collars seated. Happened to me while I installed mine.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

With springs compressed and suspended with a ratchet strap, hit the perch from the bottom with a block of wood and a ball peen or 2lb hammer. Perch will slide up far enough to remove perch clips. My guess is you did not have the spring pulled up high enough with the strap so the weight of the spring would not allow you to get the perch up high enough to get the new collars seated. Happened to me while I installed mine.

Spring was held up and i could and did remove the stock clips. I could not get the perch up high enough to get the RPG collar in. Maybe I do need to disconnect the tie rod and sway bar to get more range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spring was held up and i could and did remove the stock clips. I could not get the perch up high enough to get the RPG collar in. Maybe I do need to disconnect the tie rod and sway bar to get more range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not necessary. I found that the spring was pushing against my perch on my first attempt to raise the perch. Make sure the spring is not catching somewhere on/inside the cup once you have it suspended with the strap. if its snagged on the lip, or a bolt, or in my case the hook on my strap was binding around the cup and not allowing enough clearance. Once I repositioned my strap (moved the hook of my strap down 2 coils on the spring) I gained enough clearance to get the new collars installed. Second side was a breeze once I figured this out.

OP
OP
brettmess24

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I busted one of those spring compressors and said f it. Goes in tomorrow for RPG collar and alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
brettmess24

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked mine up.

Rear Deaver +2HD w/camburg mig shackles, SVC bump and aprox 200lbs in the bed:
41 3/4”
stock was 41 1/4”

Front RPG 1.5” collar:
40 7/8”
stock was 39 3/4”

Alignment came out within specs. All four corners within an 1/8 of an inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not necessary. I found that the spring was pushing against my perch on my first attempt to raise the perch. Make sure the spring is not catching somewhere on/inside the cup once you have it suspended with the strap. if its snagged on the lip, or a bolt, or in my case the hook on my strap was binding around the cup and not allowing enough clearance. Once I repositioned my strap (moved the hook of my strap down 2 coils on the spring) I gained enough clearance to get the new collars installed. Second side was a breeze once I figured this out.

Retried today - better result! Got the passenger side in, now to do the driver side. Couple of notes; You want to spread the compressors as far apart as possible from one another. I used a C clamp on the very top coil of the spring and the top of the shock mount - this insured that the spring won't drop, I also used a ratchet strap for good measure. The most helpful thing I discovered was once your spring is as compressed as you can get it and you lover the suspension down, use a large pry bar between the upper control arm and the spring (up on the spring, down on upper arm) and the shock will move DOWN and give you room between the bottom of the spring and the perch. You can then use a piece of wood and a rubber mallet to get the perch UP.

Now I'm off to do the driver side.

yellowssm

Reaction score
Had the RPG's 2.25" on for a week on my 2018 now and it is a little stiffer than stock. Totally livable for me.

I don't have stock measurements but as it sits now its with 40 miles till empty on the gas tank.

From ground to fender
Driver front 41 1/4"
Pass Front 41 5/8"
Driver Rear 42 1/8"
Pass Rear 42"

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retried today - better result! Got the passenger side in, now to do the driver side. Couple of notes; You want to spread the compressors as far apart as possible from one another. I used a C clamp on the very top coil of the spring and the top of the shock mount - this insured that the spring won't drop, I also used a ratchet strap for good measure. The most helpful thing I discovered was once your spring is as compressed as you can get it and you lover the suspension down, use a large pry bar between the upper control arm and the spring (up on the spring, down on upper arm) and the shock will move DOWN and give you room between the bottom of the spring and the perch. You can then use a piece of wood and a rubber mallet to get the perch UP.

Now I'm off to do the driver side.

Glad it’s working out

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad it’s working out

Got the driver side done too. Here was my issue - THE DAMN STICKERS were binding and getting the perch all caught up, they would not go higher because the sticker started to roll up as the perch went up. Ended up having to remove the stickers on both shocks - once I did that, easy as pie. Did not need a strap at all. Like I said before, you need a pry bar or somthing long to push the upper A arm DOWN and the spring up. This gives plenty of room to then get the perch up. Anyway, I only did the 1.5" collar and my full lock rubbing is now completely gone :biggrin: