Needing original bead lock rings destroyed by install of tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no excuse for damaging wheels, and shop equipment is one of the biggest contributors to damage. If they are using an old machine with worn/missing rubber clamp feet or if you see the tire guys struggling to get wheels mounted/dismounted with a pry bar, that’s how damage happens. Any good tire shop will have at least a Hunter Center-Clamp or table top machine, high volume shops may have a Hunter Auto 34 or Revolution.

And, as others mentioned, remove the trim rings yourself before having the tires replaced.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this happened to me as well but only on 1 ring, the tech stopped as he couldnt even mount the tire. I cant believe they destroyed all 4 of yours and didnt stop throughout the process. They tried to ram jam their way through without thinking about it and now they wont pay for any of it? Any reputable shop will bear some if not all responsibility for this.

In my case they also discovered retail cost of a single ring ($900+powdercoating) and let me decide to either fix the ring or take the set of tires including the mount/balance and extended warranty. I chose free tires.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you’re using / getting actual bead locks maintained, are you giving the shop a heads up - ‘hey, I have bead lock wheels here, do you know what you’re doing?’

I do this with my bikes all the time
‘hey, I’ve got magnesium/carbon fiber/unobtanium rims, can you handle this without damage? No is a perfectly acceptable answer. Damaging my $2000.00 wheel is the wrong answer.'

I usually end up with a senior mechanic that way, rather than some $7.25/hour n00b. Nothing wrong with being a shop n00b, but, learn on someone else’s cast aluminum rims, not my carbon rims.