Need your help: 2019 Gen 2 idle drop, shudder when shifting to park :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Evening everyone, looking for some help from my fellow raptor members with a recent shudder and idle dropping/jumping when shifting to park after driving. Basically after shifting to park, the truck almost sputters like it's going to shut off, idle jumps back and forth from 1-.5. Last time it happened, I checked the battery voltage, it said 13V. This happened 3 times in the past few weeks.

Living in the south now, I run my A/C constant, fan 1-2, cold seats.
Bunch of electronics on at the same time off factory battery: radar, front dash cam, drone alarm hooked up, IGLA security system.
Usually happens after about driving 20-30 mins.

As I'm writing this, just realized, the first time I noticed this was after I installed my alarm and security system but then didn't happen again for weeks.

What do you think guys? Is it my truck trying to tell me the battery need replacing? Is it something else more serious? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Either way, will probably have Ford take a look at some point hopefully before I end up getting stranded ha

Edit: I did have the cam phasers replaced under warranty few months back as well

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does it stumble when fans kick on Hi Speed at idle ? If not the battery ,my first guess it Sounds like a vacuum leak . After the engine heats up.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like you may be overloading the alternator at low RPM. The aftermarket electrical and electronic components will increase the drag on the engine from the alternator, which the PCM is not expecting to see. So as it tries to maintain voltage, the alternator load will increase which can pull down engine RPM. Try disconnecting all of the aftermarket equipment and see if it still occurs.

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Does it stumble when fans kick on Hi Speed at idle ? If not the battery ,my first guess it Sounds like a vacuum leak . After the engine heats up.
Haven't tried messing with the fan but I'll try that out next time it happens. Usually I'm just in a panic staring at the RPM's dance lol Appreciate the response!

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
It sounds like you may be overloading the alternator at low RPM. The aftermarket electrical and electronic components will increase the drag on the engine from the alternator, which the PCM is not expecting to see. So as it tries to maintain voltage, the alternator load will increase which can pull down engine RPM. Try disconnecting all of the aftermarket equipment and see if it still occurs.
Thanks so much for replying! I also feel like it's voltage/battery related. Do you think a new battery could help remedy this solution? Other thought I also had was removing all the electronics but man I need it all ha! Next time, I'll try kicking the fan speed up to see if that does anything and/or start unplugging stuff to see if it remedies this.

mattyz99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may also want to see if your intercooler needs to get drained, my aftermarket cooler has a weep hole plug that I unscrew and let drain every oil change.