GEN 2 Need Transmission rebuild/replace. Recommendations on best route?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scary gary

Reaction score
I believe I do have some recollection of that previously being mentioned. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but by flushing the transmission, it causes all shavings/particles to get pushed back of the trans and causing failure shortly after x time/miles.
I have heard of mechanics(non-dealer) that drop the pan, replace the filter consecutively (I believe twice total)to get most of the gunk out. I don’t know how much truth holds to this or the effectiveness of it.
But I’m glad it was all documented and you were able to get it replaced at no cost! 13k is a pretty penny to pay.
Thank you for your reply!
Exactly. It dislodges debris and then ends up in the cooler and converter. After my service the truck made it 400 miles. The dealership blamed it on a over fill. Then truck then made it 100 miles. It would be bang into gears and some times feeling like I’m rear ended and slipping in all gears. Blows fluid out all over the truck. I could drive around town no problem. But after driving about an hour would it start to act up.

OP
OP
F

FrankL1

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I’m sorry for the delay in response/communication. I’ve been back and forth from the desert due to work. But now that everything is coming back to the valley. It’s mellowing out.

I wanted to update everyone who’s been supporting. After back and forth, really no avail I replaced the transmission.
I went to Ford at Paso Robles, they had the truck in and out with about a week or so. Transmission got there second day but had to order some hardware that made the transition a little longer. Original Ford dealership where they took it apart had all the bolts in a box and Paso Ford took a while to sift through it to make sure all was there. All said and done, it was about $6,500.00 otd. It would have been less by $250.00 but it needed a new battery.
For the price, and customer service they provided, I’m happy.

Fred at Parts and Tyler in Service were great to work with. Answered all and any questions that I had.

For reference:
Lithia(I think) in Fresno quoted me $6,400.00 parts and labor(Transmission being at $4,100-$4,200) which I think that’s a great price for the unit itself from all the calls I originally made to a dozen of dealerships.
But then I factored in the cost of hauling it on the gooseneck with the 5500, plus time taken away. Thought it would come out more expensive in the end. So I contacted Paso and Tyler said they were happy to match the cost (and the $400.00 off for already being disassembled), so I went with them.

The only service I denied at Paso Ford was the cv shaft replacement. They quoted me at $1,372.00 or close.
my personal mechanic (whose a reputable shop owner) and our company mechanic both seen the shafts and both stated that the inner boots were popped off and not damaged. My mechanic stated once the truck was out from Ford to take it in. He’d take out the shafts, inspect - and if there were no issues, repack and utilize the same boots with new clamps.

The shafts are in working order and have no issues. But the boots popped off again in one of my farm visits (normal dirt driving).
Stated that Ford does not sell the inner boots (or outer) but do provide the clamps but $90.00 a piece.
Said he can rework and clamp with OE at $320.00 but there can be the possibility of them coming off again.
He quoted me $700.00 or just under for labor and new CVs, so for the price difference I’m going with new CVs. Should be done by Thursday.

Hopefully anything I posted can be resourceful.

On a side note, as always, dealerships want their core. In my case, it was in a ton of pieces. So I took two afternoons and a few 805s and put the transmission together. No diagram or video. So to thee best of my knowledge it went well, all internals spun and interacted just fine within itself. So if it was put together how it should - I feel pretty darn proud.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here I am in this thread lol....

I found the internals for the diff to be rebuilt. How seeking the internals for the trans to be rebuilt.