Need Trade Advice!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the lesson is, there are no good deals at a dealer. They will make their money one way or another. Its like Vegas the house "always wins."

The good thing is its convenient trading then selling private. Here's the old truck give me my new one!!!

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

So guys....I am going to "raise my hand" for some advice... I ordered a 2013 SCREW about two weeks ago for invoice (about $51,100...801A, moonroof, all graphics, camera, bed extender). Expected delivery is March...so...came across the same truck sitting at a lot within a few hours of me...has two more options than my order (tailgate step, spray-in bed liner), and the MSRP is $56,340. I asked for "best price", and they came back with $53,000...then I asked about accepting my trade...said they want my car, their initial book research says $44,000, which is at least $3k less than what several other references (kelly, edmunds, NADA, USAA) state for trade. They are going to do more research, and get back to me Monday. I'm afraid they are going to come back with the same....or similar....ridiculously low value for my trade. I don't get it!! This entire "vehicle valuation thing" is all over the place!! I do all the research, and my numbers still never match the dealers. So...either i suck it up, avoid the hassle of private sale and go for it...or ....advertise, try to sell privately (fun, fun, fun), and wait for my ordered truck. Thoughts???

Is that a guaranteed number for the trade in three months from now?

When I bought my wifes escalade, we had to wait for it. So what we did was give them the trade ASAP because in 3 months when the new one is ready, whatever you are driving now will drop in value.

We then rented a car for 3 months till hers was ready.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not clear to me if you guys wanting the dealer to give you more for your trade in have tried selling it on your own?

If you want more then do what the dealer does - sell it to a buyer :)

If you don't want more then trade it in.

The choices are that simple.

Geauxfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fellas,

I would work at trying to get the best deal on your trade before the Raptor arrives and hold them to it. I ran into the same problem with wanting to order one and was told that my truck was valued at $24.5k now, but in 4 months when new truck arrives the value maybe at $22k. You, at that point are at the mercy of the dealer to accept the lower trade they will most certainly do. I didn't want to have to deal that way, so I shopped for a deal with an existing truck on lot, and paid for my Raptor about $1500 over invoice, and got trade I wanted for $24.5. Not all dealers were willing to give me $24.5, some wanted to give me only $21k to $23k.
If you've ordered one, my suggestion would be to try and sell it before the truck arrives because you could lose alot of money if you wait to trade when truck does arrive, then you are at their mercy. It's just business, they are not out to screw you, they want as much money out of the deal as they can get, just like you are trying to save money.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But given the chance to screw you many dealers will..... They will justify it, but a smart buyer does their homework and comes armed with knowledge, this will get you the best deal.... If you dont like the offer the dealer makes walk away.... However the instant awsomeness of owning a new Raptor really makes you forget the deal.....

Saber22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great "inputs"...I agree...I believe I am going to have to "suck it up" and take the trade-in price the dealer offers. I have the car for sale now...but no takers, and the thought of holding out for the "long haul" is NOT appealing. It is funny though how the dealers call back with "what they think" is a great deal...and I'm sitting here thinking "WTF!!??". I used to think buying a new vehicle was fun and exciting...now I realize it is simply disappointing and nerve racking. The good side...as you all have said...is sitting in a new Raptor driving off the lot. Thanks again...