need some help with engine knock warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep us posted on what you end up doing with that motor bro! Sounds like you are level headed about the whole experience., so far.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i also run a business over a decade now and have been using chevys to dodges and have had agressive tunes on a couple rams that i still have with 250k + miles and only had to change the trans on it after 150k miles so im just judging based of my own experience.

I agree with you...but.....The Chevy and Dodges you speak of, are pretty tame from the factory with a lot of head room to do an "aggressive" tune. The Raptor comes from the factory dialed in for what is safe for THAT motor configuration. (which is 100+ more then the chevy and dodge) stock. There just is not a lot of extra power to be found without massive upgrades.

Good luck.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you...but.....The Chevy and Dodges you speak of, are pretty tame from the factory with a lot of head room to do an "aggressive" tune. The Raptor comes from the factory dialed in for what is safe for THAT motor configuration. (which is 100+ more then the chevy and dodge) stock. There just is not a lot of extra power to be found without massive upgrades.

Good luck.
live and learn brother . one day at a time :)

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
Well sparky they put the redline on the tach for a reason. Like one responder indicated the 3.5 ** truck motor is pretty tapped out from the factory. The only way to get more out of it is to build to GT specs - different cams, heads, intake, tune, etc. I think even the block may be different on the GT and it only yields like 650hp.

You mentioned it seems like it was down 2 cylinders - they come from the factory -2 to begin with. lol

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my truck is back and running now, i have a brand new engine installed . and just to put this out there, lots of the posters here that responded to my thread have no idea wth they are talking about, and were very wrong!!! but i guess thats what you get on the internet these days, lots of posers that run their mouth without any knowledge of what they are saying to talking about. but its all gravy im happy with my truck and that its running like a brand new truck again.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twin turbo HO Dodges and GMs?
Turbos are a completely different animal with tunes.

Hopefully nothing catastrophic. Please keep us updated

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably less than a dozen! :ehcapt:
lol define overheated? only once that i remember that it got overheated to 255f or whatever it was i posted, but i had pulled over right away in the mountains and let it cool off . before i had the 170t stat installed it would go to 230 and sometimes up to 240f before i let off the throttle and it usually would lower down on its own pretty quickly. the temps without the colder t stat would get to 220f pretty often. but it seemed like this was the norm for these trucks, and why many change the t stat and change the radiators from what i have seen here.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twin turbo HO Dodges and GMs?
Turbos are a completely different animal with tunes.

Hopefully nothing catastrophic. Please keep us updated
yep the turbo trucks are a new thing to me, other than the diesel trucks of course that had been with them for quite some time but thats a different animal. my motor on the truck was toast, damaged vct phasers, damaged timing chain guides , and a list of other issues in the motor itself, so the solution was brand new long block and im back on the road finally again. going to enjoy it without performance mods for the time being. not sure i will tune it , at least not for a while. i rather enjoy a slower but working truck.:)

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yep the turbo trucks are a new thing to me, other than the diesel trucks of course that had been with them for quite some time but thats a different animal. my motor on the truck was toast, damaged vct phasers, damaged timing chain guides , and a list of other issues in the motor itself, so the solution was brand new long block and im back on the road finally again. going to enjoy it without performance mods for the time being. not sure i will tune it , at least not for a while. i rather enjoy a slower but working truck.:)
Did the dealer give you an opinion on what they thought the failure was caused by?