need some help with engine knock warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which MPT tune? What other mods? Why the fuel pump?
i changed to a evo high pressure pump the pumps not the issue, i should of sent the log to the tuner and waitied for a responce but having been so busy at work with long ot hours that just didnt happen. but the main reason for the pump upgrade was to be able to run it an all e85 ethonal instead of doing the mixes every time which can be a pain with busy pumps.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you screwed up and now want to blame Ford. Your an irresponsible loser. Man up YOU did this thinking you know better than ??
Ps: these raptors communicate everything back to mommy even if you unplug.
You ain’t smarter than ford.
not blaming ford as i dont know the cause of it yet, was just looking for answers and out of frustration saying things that clearly dont make sense to you.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t be dishonest.

This sounds like the tune was way, way, way too aggressive. This is all going to be obvious to the tech, the S/A, and there’s no way they’re getting that covered under warranty, and as a result, you won’t either. Remember, the stealership has to get approval for warranty repairs and if they’re busted lying about a diagnosis there could be job/career ending consequences - ecoboosts aren’t cheap.

There’s nothing wrong with the eco boost or Ford here, there’s plenty of Raptors out there knocking on 100k now.
@GordoJay nailed it.
i figured they would , just dont know how they are over bolt on mods and tunes as ive had other dealers fix items going out with tunes on other companys like bmw/nissan etc

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t be dishonest.

This sounds like the tune was way, way, way too aggressive. This is all going to be obvious to the tech, the S/A, and there’s no way they’re getting that covered under warranty, and as a result, you won’t either. Remember, the stealership has to get approval for warranty repairs and if they’re busted lying about a diagnosis there could be job/career ending consequences - ecoboosts aren’t cheap.

There’s nothing wrong with the eco boost or Ford here, there’s plenty of Raptors out there knocking on 100k now.
@GordoJay nailed it.
im not sure if it has been or not , i didnt feel much of a difference from the the e50 map i was on before it. will try to diagnose it with free time . on the positive side this is by far the cheapest motor to buy from the cars i own .

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can tell and they will be looking. You will still need to change that pump and tune so they can work on it. Maybe other stuff depending on your mods.
yea from my experience i know they will and it all depending on the SA to decide what they will do, i usually avoid dealerships at all costs unless its warranty work or recalls. i do maintenance myself with better oils and filters that they would ever use. its a suprise to me because of raced or ran other cars hard with tunes and bolt ons straight e85 and never had a motor issue from those mods except on the gtr which i knew was running past the stock capability and 5 years later it finally through a rod. but it was reall tuned agreesive and also raced often so it was a matter of time and i knew it. the truck only been on straight e85 for 2 days and driven better it had on the e50 tunes i had so i didnt expect anything to go wrong havent raced it just couple pulls here n there to see how the difference performed . my only other bolt ons were the evo pump which is on top of the motor and very easy to swap, intake, borla exhaust and intercooler, other than the mpt tune thats it.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you screwed up and now want to blame Ford. Your an irresponsible loser. Man up YOU did this thinking you know better than ??
first off i never said i was smarter than ford, 2nd i wasnt just saying this on the assumption that this is soley from my own experience. my brother has the same year raptor that he bought from a forum member here couple years ago, he had a whipple tune kit installed already with it on 91 octane and he never changed anything. from my experience their tunes are very weak and i would have never expected any issues based off my past experience and others that all like to mod diff trucks or cars. but he had his motor swapped half a year ago as well, then his turbo or turbos went out, and now like 2 weeks ago he thought he had another used turbo go out which they replaced but seems like his head gasket is busted as well. a friend of mine has a 2018 f150 platinum that he bought used and also had his motor changed half a year ago , he was tuned by 5 star i beleive. from my take of this ford makes weak motors. so if you want yours to last dont tune it...

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

A little hard.....but I will say ...this is exactly why TUNES are not covered under warranty. Always been a risk doing a tune. Your tolerance may vary. Own up to it. Re evaluate your goals for the truck and adjust accordingly.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
first off i never said i was smarter than ford, 2nd i wasnt just saying this on the assumption that this is soley from my own experience. my brother has the same year raptor that he bought from a forum member here couple years ago, he had a whipple tune kit installed already with it on 91 octane and he never changed anything. from my experience their tunes are very weak and i would have never expected any issues based off my past experience and others that all like to mod diff trucks or cars. but he had his motor swapped half a year ago as well, then his turbo or turbos went out, and now like 2 weeks ago he thought he had another used turbo go out which they replaced but seems like his head gasket is busted as well. a friend of mine has a 2018 f150 platinum that he bought used and also had his motor changed half a year ago , he was tuned by 5 star i beleive. from my take of this ford makes weak motors. so if you want yours to last dont tune it...

Even a fully forged engine can be destroyed with nothing more than a tune or a bad mix of fuel. The 3.5 EcoBoost is by no means a "weak' engine. The factory 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 is able to pull Davis Dam, with a trailer, at full GCWR, at Wide Open Throttle in 100+ degree temperatures repeatedly without failure. It's a 6 bolt main engine with an additional main bearing support brace and piston oil cooling jets. I know you don't want to hear this, but the only variable is your tune.

What is important to remember is that these are 6,000lb trucks with the aerodynamics of a brick; the engine is under much more stress that it would be in a car application. When manufacturers design engines, their durability targets are based on application, power, output, GVWR, etc. They don't figure in aftermarket modifications; that is an unknown. During testing, there is no engineer that says "everything passed...but we need extra budget to upgrade the rods in case someone installs an aftermarket tune and increases boost". That is true for all manufacturers; the days the factory overbuilt engines are over unless you're talking niche applications.

I would recommend bringing it to the dealer and be honest about the mods. That will get you a lot further than trying to make it appear stock and having them find out later. The issue could be as simple as a failed high-pressure fuel pump roller tappet or as bad as a melted piston; but better to let them know up front what they should be looking for. If you bought the truck new from the same dealer you're having it serviced at and have the maintenance plan through them, they are much more likely to work with you because you're a customer. That may seem trivial, but in my personal experience that can be the difference between helping you out with the cost (hours, parts markup) vs. telling you to pound sand.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even a fully forged engine can be destroyed with nothing more than a tune or a bad mix of fuel. The 3.5 EcoBoost is by no means a "weak' engine. The factory 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 is able to pull Davis Dam, with a trailer, at full GCWR, at Wide Open Throttle in 100+ degree temperatures repeatedly without failure. It's a 6 bolt main engine with an additional main bearing support brace and piston oil cooling jets. I know you don't want to hear this, but the only variable is your tune.

What is important to remember is that these are 6,000lb trucks with the aerodynamics of a brick; the engine is under much more stress that it would be in a car application. When manufacturers design engines, their durability targets are based on application, power, output, GVWR, etc. They don't figure in aftermarket modifications; that is an unknown. During testing, there is no engineer that says "everything passed...but we need extra budget to upgrade the rods in case someone installs an aftermarket tune and increases boost". That is true for all manufacturers; the days the factory overbuilt engines are over unless you're talking niche applications.

I would recommend bringing it to the dealer and be honest about the mods. That will get you a lot further than trying to make it appear stock and having them find out later. The issue could be as simple as a failed high-pressure fuel pump roller tappet or as bad as a melted piston; but better to let them know up front what they should be looking for. If you bought the truck new from the same dealer you're having it serviced at and have the maintenance plan through them, they are much more likely to work with you because you're a customer. That may seem trivial, but in my personal experience that can be the difference between helping you out with the cost (hours, parts markup) vs. telling you to pound sand.
i understand and thanks for the respectfull replies and opinions . im just saying that overall from my experience and those i know of, i also run a business over a decade now and have been using chevys to dodges and have had agressive tunes on a couple rams that i still have with 250k + miles and only had to change the trans on it after 150k miles so im just judging based of my own experience. i understand tunes have a big role in performance and reliability so i do my homework to try and use a good reputated company. i know theres risks to all mods and normally a engine from the factory is made to withstand higher power numbers that it has but i see a coincidence or puzzle being played out here with all the issues this platform has been getting and just from the close people in my life that i never have seen before so to me it sure seems they have not made it to withstand higher power numbers, and had i known i would have most likely had it built before tuning, but now will try and find someone to build the motor or just swap it out with another. i just hope this doesnt end up being anyone of you guys that are tuned down the road having the same or similar result that we have had.

i dont know about yal but at least i ended my july 4th with a BANG!