Need New 6.2 Engine!... Boosted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtsnow

Reaction score
I lost the #5 cylinder in my 13 whipple boosted raptor. Not 100% sure of the cause (mostly like a bad coil causing preignition and probably age too), but its new engine time. Truck has 180K miles.

Posting this to see what professional opinions I get and what options are out there for a new reliable engine. Options are used, reman, or a built motor. This is going to cost me a lot of $ and i want to make sure I don't regret whatever route i choose. Does a boosted motor really need forged pistons and rods? Reputable builders in colorado? What other hard parts would need to be changed out if any?

I want a reliable motor for a boosted 250k+ miles.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost the #5 cylinder in my 13 whipple boosted raptor. Not 100% sure of the cause (mostly like a bad coil causing preignition and probably age too), but its new engine time. Truck has 180K miles.

Posting this to see what professional opinions I get and what options are out there for a new reliable engine. Options are used, reman, or a built motor. This is going to cost me a lot of $ and i want to make sure I don't regret whatever route i choose. Does a boosted motor really need forged pistons and rods? Reputable builders in colorado? What other hard parts would need to be changed out if any?

I want a reliable motor for a boosted 250k+ miles.

I can't give you much in the way of recommendations on which of the 3 to pick. But, you are asking a lot with your 250K+ mile want. It kind of comes down to how heavy your right foot is.

OP
OP
dirtsnow

dirtsnow

Reaction score
Gary, I'm thinking that if a bone stock motor made it 180K on boost, a properly built motor with forged internals should easily go much longer than that. Either way, that's all speculation, and i'm looking for some expert options on this subject.

Maybe i need to specify HP and use. Under 600 rwhp and daily driver that sees a ton of highway miles with about 10-20% dirt (oil field work and some recreation playing).

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd seriously consider putting in a low mileage takeout. You got nearly 200K from your first one. You could put in two or three more and still not get close to the cost of a built engine. Way more reliable than a reman IMO.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
maybe you should find the cause of the failure... a friend just had a broken valve spring. didn't damage the bottom end.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtsnow

dirtsnow

Reaction score
maybe you should find the cause of the failure... a friend just had a broken valve spring. didn't damage the bottom end.

Downforce, We are pretty sure its a piston from the bore scope, leak down, and compression test we did. There is what appears to be a little piston (aluminum) on the cylinder wall and a lot of blowby. Either way, if a head has to come off to fix it, thats still not cheap, and i feel like i'm getting close to the end of the reliable life of the motor anyways. I'm prepared for a new power plant and want to make it reliable and FUN again.

Forget used!!!

Factory remanufactured Long Block engine is the way I would go for $5,000 +/-
$9-12K at dealer installed.

Livernois has what your looking for at $6K for short block
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750108

Fully built 6.6L from Livernois is great for $20,000 complete.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750129

DON'T FORGET TO UPGRADE THE OIL PUMP GEARS!!!!
What ever you decide.

MTF, I kind of agree with you on the used engine part....What do you know about these motors? You seem to know about Making power according to you signature. What can be stock, and what needs to be aftermarket for my goals? I've heard the stock heads actually flow really well with no mods. I've looked all over Livernois' webpage and even called them. They have a built 6.2 for $17K but thats a lot of money to spend, when I may not need that much for my goals.

robert125

Reaction score
Gary,

I’m a 65 year old V8 muscle car and old school race truck cowboy. I had owned and driven many used vintage 50’s and late model Chevy & Dodge trucks growing up, before validating (Performance over Time) that Ford made the highest quality production truck on Earth! My first close look at a Raptor was in the Spring of 2015. While my Ford F-250 company truck was being serviced at a big Ford Dealership near Pohatcong, in Washington Township, NJ, I caught site of what turned out to be a 2013 Raptor in the showroom. I’d never really heard much about them and thought this was a brand new 2015. Turned out it was a 2013 with only 3200-miles on it! I caught the fever immediately after close examination. The next day I went back and made them an offer and they laughed. The price they were asking was full pop retail! The same price it had listed for brand new in 2013! I went home thinking they would call to negotiate and went back the following day and it was gone. I made a decision that day to make it a short range life goal to order a brand new one with every option Ford offered. A very long story short. My new hobby researching Ford’s F-150 Raptor had temporarily burst my bubble. They had not produced one since 2014 and would not confirm when the next production run would be? By August 2016 I had relocated to the DC area and was living in Laurel, Maryland when I met Tom Woods, the owner of Academy Ford in Laurel. Tom got got me on a list and in October 2016 called to sit down and order my truck with every option, color combo, and specification I had in mind. He was amazing and stayed in close touch. My truck (Magnus) was delivered on January 11, 2017. The 3.5 L V-6 High output Twin Turbo EcoBoost was the real surprise! Amazing power plant! My advice to your motor dilemma would be to scrap the 6.2 L V-8 Boat Anchor and go with the new twin turbo ! Good Luck !!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd seriously consider putting in a low mileage takeout. You got nearly 200K from your first one. You could put in two or three more and still not get close to the cost of a built engine. Way more reliable than a reman IMO.
Pros and Cons to both...and think a big factor is who's going to remove and reinstall either of them....because I've found since I'm no longer really able to "work" on my vehicles due to back injury,the Labor can eat you alive...sure a "take-out" would be the way to go as far as upfront costs,but it better have a good warranty and better have a good trusted shop do the work...I've had experience with a ReMan engine and can say EricM is correct...had one installed in my Corvette...and went thru 2 years of Hell as it was shit from day one and had to be replaced 2 times..!! I'm just glad I wasnt doing the work,and if I didnt have a long time trusted shop do the work,it might of turned into 3 years of hell...they had to deal with the installs and reinstalls,and didnt cost me extra,only that I didnt have a car to drive for almost 2 years..!! My mechanic lost his shirt on the job,and last I heard he was still fighting with the ReMan company....So,its really a crap shoot on which way to go...just make sure its either rebuilt or a local take-out...someplace you can walk in the door and bitch....I'd be very careful doing the online or shipping route..IMHO

A little PS to this..for those that might ask....YES...the ReMan Engine had a Warranty...HAHAHA...almost useless written up by Shark Lawyers...with enough loopholes to hang yourself....THEY will find everyway they can to get out of it...!
First engine they said,Well,customer drove the car for 200 miles and either doesnt know how to drive it,or beat on it,as in hes some young kid
(they actually said that)...
HAHAHA..REALLY...I've owned my '63 for 40 Years...pretty sure I know how to drive it....and my mechanic knows me....turned out the thrust washer went bad,or had to much clearance...its been a while,but they sent Engine #2...
This one lasted appx. the distance from the shop to the gas station...about 10 miles,or lets say the time it takes to warm up....it warmed up to 260! Called my mechanic and he sent a flat bed to pick it up....
Again they blamed the "young-kid",and would NOT warranty the 2nd engine,saying I ran it with no coolant...HAHAHAHA!! Mechanic pulled heads off....2 cracks ....so out comes 2nd engine...this where the fight starts between him and ReMan Co.....and 5-6 months later,they finally sent #3...Guess its true,3rd times the charm...If I had to do over,I'd find a local Engine Rebuilder (with a 5** rating!) and have it built the way you want.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think going to little 3.5L EB (not twin turbos like you guys like to call those little things) is going to be satisfying after running around with a Whippled 6.2L
Don't get me wrong I like the truck but a six cylinder just doesn't cut it!!!

I'll wait till 2020 before looking at a new Raptor if I decide to do that.