Need input please - Odd sound when pulling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a whipple installed for about 2500 miles now. Currently sitting at 82,500 miles on the truck.
2014 6.2L

All has been good for the most part. A couple of tune issues that I've been back and forth with JDM on, but thinking we have it resolved.

I have a challenger hellcat that I drag race. I had my car on a tandem axle trailer and was pulling it to the drag strip.
On the way there, I had a long hill that I had to drive up. Probably a good mile long, moderate grade.
About a half a mile in, I could hear a ticking/slapping noise under moderate load, which sounded like coming from the driver side of engine compartment.
I pulled over and looked and listened. Nothing odd. Got back in the truck and started back up the hill, it did the same noise again.
I went ahead and drove the remaining 2 hrs, never heard the noise again. Drove back 2.5 hrs and never heard the noise again.

On Saturday, I was pulling a single axle 6' x 10' trailer empty. I hear that same noise going up a different hill.
I don't see any reduction in power or performance when the noise is present.

I'm curious on where I should start looking. No CEL's

I have the SCT programmer that I got with the whipple kit. I also have HP Tuners that I use with my hellcat that I could PROBABLY register to my Raptor as well and pull a data log if needed.

Any suggestions on what I might have going on? Need a starting point to have a shop start looking. Again, only does it under a load.

Thanks!

Brian

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It could be your IWE are losing too much vacuum with the throttle into the boost for that long of a time.
A video of the noise would be helpful.
And the SCT does data logging as well, I personally wouldn't use HP Tuners on a Supercharged Raptor.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to replicate my odd noise with no trailer. I put the transmission in manual and shifted to 6th at about 50mph. Then WOT. Sure sounds like it’s more on the driver side. Slight throttle, no sound. As the trucks pulls as rpm’s start to come up, there is the noise. Notice the sound stop/ when I let off of the throttle.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Heavy engine load = low engine vacuum. As mentioned, likely the front hubs are engaging due to a leak. Good luck.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
How can I try to track down the vacuum leak?
Do some searching. I think to eliminate the hubs you can put it in 4wd on a good straight road and replicate the conditions, if all quiet, you probably have a leak. Someone with more knowledge will hopefully chime in. I had the problem once and replaced one of the actuators, it was toast.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the test of hearing the sound on the drivers side, then stopping and trying to repeat the sound in 4wd. The sound does not change or go away in 4 wheel drive.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Maybe jack up the front tires and give them a spin? It's been a while, but we had a similar noise on the 2010, the IWE teeth were so worn down that it was trying to engage but was just making a chatter sound.