Need help smog northern california can't register

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryguy84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't register my raptor it's got a whipple I guess the whipple carb stickers are being made. And has a set of kooks with catted y pipe. Help!

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I think the Kooks with foil your plans. I don't think that any long tubes will have the CARB EO sticker as they require relocation of the cats. Also, there are some tricks to avoid the check engine light with long tubes, but not sure they will pass smog in CA. You should be able to make the Whipple pass otherwise.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another agreement for shorty headers... If you had em you would pass now we need some company to make me...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LTs are an immediate visual fail. They're explicitly called out as being no-go's in the CARB code.

If your Whipple doesn't come from the OEM with a sticker, you have no shot of passing the visual there, either. You cannot "make" it pass since its an add on, and add ons need to be submitted by the OEM and qualified explicitly by CARB. Whipple has decided not to pay the "California tax" and buy the qualification/CARB sticker.

In other words, you're screwed. Take off all the aftermarket mods, drive it for a while to clear all the OBD codes and get the computer happy, smog it at that point and then... well what you do after you get that smog cert is up to you. Just remember, you'll have to dance this dance all over again 2 years from now.

Last edited:

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you can pass the "sniffer" test you should be able to find a smog place in Northern California that would be willing to look the other way. Unfortunately I don't know any since I sold my SVT Lightning over 3 years ago. But my suggestion would be to check out some of the local mustang club forums and ask on there. Someone will most likely PM you some places.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As long as you can pass the "sniffer" test you should be able to find a smog place in Northern California that would be willing to look the other way. Unfortunately I don't know any since I sold my SVT Lightning over 3 years ago. But my suggestion would be to check out some of the local mustang club forums and ask on there. Someone will most likely PM you some places.
Things have changed dramatically my friend. Those days are loooonnng gone. It was right about 3 years ago when California started shutting shops down, or sending people to jail, or fining them thousands per infraction.

And lets say you find someone that will overlook the visual stuff, they can't overlook the OBD. If your PCM is throwing a code, that's an immediate fail; there's nothing the shop can do, unless they have a hacked sniffer machine too. And given that those machines now need to hook into California's system directly, hacking them isn't as easy as it once was.

I'm sure there are still some places that will do this for you. But they're no where near as publicly known about or available as they once were. And if you find one, bring cash. Lots of it. $300 plus is what you might expect to spend.