6.2 Need help regarding Catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to simply take the truck as is to an exhause shop, have them fabricate a header back system that includes high flow cats and bungs for the 02 sensors in proper locations to read and call it good.
When I lived in emission strict areas like Portland (they like to follow CA emissions), I was able to use modified OE exhaust that was properly setup to pass both the OBDII plug, site inspections, and even the tailpipe sensor if they used it.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to simply take the truck as is to an exhause shop, have them fabricate a header back system that includes high flow cats and bungs for the 02 sensors in proper locations to read and call it good.
When I lived in emission strict areas like Portland (they like to follow CA emissions), I was able to use modified OE exhaust that was properly setup to pass both the OBDII plug, site inspections, and even the tailpipe sensor if they used it.
I believe CA is unique in requiring CARB (California Air Resource Board) certified after market parts. Inspectors don't measure output at the tail pipe anymore. They make every company pay for a certification that each part is legal. So at smog testing they do a visual inspection and if any part does not look OEM, you have to have a sticker on it with a CARB certification number. It is complete BS and a money grab without doing anything for emissions.

That said, if you an exhaust shop has CARB certified cats, you can definitely to that route. It would probably be cheaper than the stock cats.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, you can get CARB compliant aftermarket catalytic converters from just about anyone, Magnaflow and others even make high flow CARB cats as well. A good exhaust shop would be able to help, as they will know what will pass in CA.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi flow cats (CARB or Not) will not work in the 6.2L Raptor unless you add rear O2 extenders.
And if they look under the truck they will not pass it.

Closest thing to stock cats is the Green cats from Kooks.

OP
OP
Mehryar

Mehryar

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation.
I have actually bought most of the stock components and the only missing one is driver side cat which one of the nice guys here is trying to remove from his exhaust assembly (in his garage) and ship it to me.
I've heard so many freighting things about how risky it might be going other routes in California, I don't want to take any chances.
I might end up buying a lot of stuff and end up not passing visual test here.
Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Mehryar

Mehryar

Reaction score
I believe CA is unique in requiring CARB (California Air Resource Board) certified after market parts. Inspectors don't measure output at the tail pipe anymore. They make every company pay for a certification that each part is legal. So at smog testing they do a visual inspection and if any part does not look OEM, you have to have a sticker on it with a CARB certification number. It is complete BS and a money grab without doing anything for emissions.

That said, if you an exhaust shop has CARB certified cats, you can definitely to that route. It would probably be cheaper than the stock cats.
I know man. California sucks. I'm trying to go OEM up to the muffler so I'd be safe even if they start changing regulations here in the future.
Thank you for the input though. I learn a new thing here every day.

Jedijoy13

Reaction score
I'm actually in the same boat. Bought my raptor in SC and drove it to Denver. Didn't realize that Colorado has passed California emissions standards. Now I need to trade or buy the exhaust parts. Bubblehead93 has all the parts except the drivers side cat, which he sent to Mehryar.

Last edited:

2011RaporMan

Reaction score
Hello anyone whos willing to help! Im in desperate need of california compliant catalytic converters for a 2011 6.2 Raptor. Please hit me up if you can help.

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious to see how everyone’s cats have healed up. I’m trying to keep my Whipple stage 2 carb compliant but found my stick OEM cats have clogged. The recommendation from a shop is to try to pass smog as is (no CEL) and go with a Y pipe or high flow cats so I don’t run the risk of melting them with the supercharger.

I don’t think Whipple will modify their locked tune to accommodate not melting my cats and still stay carb compliant.

I’m looking at getting a set of OEM cats then getting some Gesi Green 800s to weld into place on my current clogged setup.

Any recommendations are appreciated.