Need help please grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonyraptor

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2010 ford raptor 5.4 engine 84k miles had it since new , I started hearing a grinding noise recently only on acceleration and it will go away like gears are grinding , what I have replaced iwe valve , selenoid, complete vacuum lines from the top to the connection to the iwe’s and both IWE’s , noise keeps happening , I lift up the truck with it running and 2wd engage and spin both front wheels and axles dont spin so at least I know iwe are working with out load and I engage awd and wheels wont spin freely by hand . Another thing grinding noise happens even on awd and accelerating . I dont know what else to ck need some ideas and help thanks

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you still have a problem with the iwe's, who did the work? are you mechanically inclined?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Use a vacuum gauge to test the lines to see if they are leaking somewhere, that should be done first and go from there.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replaced all the lines with oems ones
I hear ya, I read that on your first post, still, add a tee onto each line for each iwe and test, its what any mechanic would do and what many on this forum have had to do, most end up finding a leak. You need to rule it out as a problem. You can use the search function on here, and read through others scenarios with iwe's for your own benefit. What you are describing has been seen on these trucks lots before. Good luck.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/iwe-noise.65794/#post-1325055

Last edited:
OP
OP
tonyraptor

tonyraptor

Reaction score
Will do, but have a question why would it do it when is on awd there is no vacuum at that time just trying to understand

CarlosnVegas

Reaction score
Hello Tony. Had same problem w/ my 2013 @ about 120k. I started replacing "cheap" parts 1st. Vacuum check valve, IWE at wheel and didn't help. Manny many test drives and noise will go away when 4x4 is on. Simple smoke test after 10min revealed smoke coming from a vacuum line running near passenger side of engine compartment. Cut and slid it back together. Fixed! I am in Las Vegas. Call will at Auto RX Decatur and Vegas Dr. Ps. Order the 4x4 knob on Amazon and stick it in your glove box next to the spare fuses(for when your truck won't start cause of the blown fuel pump fuse under your hood.)

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can have good hoses, good solenoid, good check valve, and even maintain a vacuum at idle, but if one of your IWE diaphrams has a small leak, it will bleed off enough vacuum under a load to start grinding. This just happened to me. Do a vacuum test on each IWE. Just disconnect the line, put the vacuum gun on the large port, and pump it up. If it holds, it's good.

P.S. You didn't mention whether or not you replaced the $13 check valve. Those fail all the time. upload_2020-9-17_14-54-20.jpeg

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Tony. Had same problem w/ my 2013 @ about 120k. I started replacing "cheap" parts 1st. Vacuum check valve, IWE at wheel and didn't help. Manny many test drives and noise will go away when 4x4 is on. Simple smoke test after 10min revealed smoke coming from a vacuum line running near passenger side of engine compartment. Cut and slid it back together. Fixed! I am in Las Vegas. Call will at Auto RX Decatur and Vegas Dr. Ps. Order the 4x4 knob on Amazon and stick it in your glove box next to the spare fuses(for when your truck won't start cause of the blown fuel pump fuse under your hood.)

Do you know what that vaccum line went to? Just curious.