Need Help on Part Cost Estimate - Dealer Scum Price Queston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i took my 2018 SCAB into the dealership to get an oil change and to have the rear step button looked at as i pressed it the other day and it just stayed in and then eventually just fell out. So i had no way to get the step to come out anymore. They called me back like 3hrs later and said i need an entire new Tailgate Step Assembly and it would cost $1700 plus an hour of labor. That price just seems outrageous. I was wondering if we had any parts guys or mechanics in the house that could give me their opinions on this.

Thank You
Terry

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately they are not lying (for once), the list price on the step assembly is $1629.

Your best bet is properly to call some salvage yards and see if you can get the parts you need. I’ve had good success with car-part.com.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So... it’s a ... what was 150 or 300 dollar option on the truck, and almost 1800 to replace...

What happened to it that they needed to replace it?
( and is there any preventive maintenance we need to do to avoid suffering the same fate ! )

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I recall the step was one of the cheapest options on the truck - I think rear heated seats was cheapest, but the step was without a doubt the best bargain for options!

curious to know what broke and how.