Need help identifying this noise (Videos Attached)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattL

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me establish the cause of this noise. I've done some searching and from what I've read it could potentially be the IWE check valve or actuator spring washer kit as outlined in TSB 20-2016. However I wasn't able to find any videos to collaborate the noise.
The dealership had my truck last month for 2 weeks and since they couldn't replicate the noise they did nothing. I'm out of warranty at the end of the year so I'm dropping it off to them again Monday. I'm hoping I can point them in the right direction to get this resolved.
The noise is very inconsistent, I've not found any way to replicate it. As you'll see in the videos it occurs mostly at lower speeds and under acceleration but minimal load. Once the noise starts if I accelerate lightly the noise persists/increases and if I let off the gas it stops, If I accelerate quickly It'll increase for a couple of seconds until it makes a "clunk" type noise which sounds like something has locked into place at which point it goes away.
I appreciate the help, if you have any questions for me don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

• IMG_3356.MOV
    12.2 MB
  • IMG_6962.MOV
    9.8 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
MattL

MattL

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm dropping the truck off tomorrow. If anyone recognized this noise or can let me know if its not one of those issues it would be very helpful.

OP
OP
MattL

MattL

Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out, its a bit tough to hear over the road noise but it helps to have the volume up. It resembles the noise made if you stick something into bicycle spokes.

travmc77

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I have the same problem. Twice now Ford says it’s normal. BS! Not normal at all. It’s more prevalent when it’s warm outside. And there is a shudder when that noise stops.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.MOV
    5 MB

travmc77

Reaction score
Here’s another video. Listen for the thud at the end. I notice it happens to me when I accelerate and the turbo is spooling up.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.MOV
    4.4 MB
OP
OP
MattL

MattL

Reaction score
Here’s another video. Listen for the thud at the end. I notice it happens to me when I accelerate and the turbo is spooling up.
Yes that’s the noise I’m experiencing also. The thud when it stops is very noticeable. I read a post regarding the IWE check valve failing and the noise coming from the attempted shift from 2wd to 4wd. It recommended driving in 4 low which I’ve done for a week and haven’t experienced the noise since. My truck is at the dealer, I’ll keep you posted on the outcome

travmc77

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve taken to the dealership 2 times now and they say there’s nothing wrong and that sound is normal. Told them their crazy if they think that’s normal. After seeing your post, began reading more about the IWE and am now convinced that’s the problem. Sent dealer a message telling them that. Thanks for the response and let me know what they say.