Need Help! Dealer has had Truck for almost 2 months, still can’t figure out problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Wilbur

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact a lemon law lawyer in your state. My 2018 Gen 2 had a couple issues that kept it in the shop for 50 days. Here in CA, lemon law states that if either your vehicle has the same issue 3 times or it is in the shop for more than 30 days it meets the requirements.

If a lemon law lawyer takes your case, you will win because they don’t take cases they can’t win. I was able to do a buy back with ford where they paid me every penny that was put into the truck minus a little based on mileage when I first took it in for the issues.

When you order a new truck, your dealer can contact their ford rep who then can push your order through much faster than a normal order and it does not hurt the dealer’s allocations.
Call ford CS and tell them you want this truck bought back by ford because it can’t be fixed. Truck will be fixed in less than 5 days. Ford hates buy backs. Call Ford CS every day politely and ask what is happening.
I didn't think Lemon Law would work for me since I'm the second owner? I bought the truck used in December with 19k miles. It currently has 24k.

OP
OP
Wilbur

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve expressed my opinion on this already, and still maintain, FE or not, this dealer has busted the budget to fix the truck and didn’t so everything from this point on is going to be like pulling your own teeth because the dealer is coughing up every dollar to look at the truck now, not Ford.
I can see your point, but I'm currently driving around in a rental car the dealer got me. Isn't that costing them money each week? Or does FMC pay for it?

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read through the lemon law, I believe it states if a dealership cannot fix the same problem more than three service appointments or they have your car for more than 30 days, I believe they are required to replace with current model or a buy back. It is worth a try.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can see your point, but I'm currently driving around in a rental car the dealer got me. Isn't that costing them money each week? Or does FMC pay for it?
FMC paid for my rental. And I'm pretty sure that dealers are compensated by FMC for providing loaners.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Read through the lemon law, I believe it states if a dealership cannot fix the same problem more than three service appointments or they have your car for more than 30 days, I believe they are required to replace with current model or a buy back. It is worth a try.
That varies from state to state. In Colorado, it's 30 business days, so two months calendar.

Marcelletti17

Reaction score
He’s not there yet. I’ve been through a LL case too. The fine print counts. From the time the owner initiates suit, the Mfr. has a period of time to respond, then, they can request another crack at fixing the defect. If he signs off, he’s out the $$$ to hire the lawyer or whatever up front money was exchanged unless otherwise negotiated with the mfr. It was not part of my suit, but they failed to remediate so it wasn’t an issue. Next you wait. The wait can be 6 weeks or 15 months or anywhere in between, then they make you a lowball offer, because they have staff counsel on retainer, you’re just hiring someone as needed. They can outwait you. Usually within 30-60 days of the first lowball, a reasonable settlement offer is made and it’s usually close to trial.

There’s no downside to taking @FordTechOne’s advice here. If the FE can’t get it resolved of drive it to resolution, he’s already in touch with C/S.

I’ve expressed my opinion on this already, and still maintain, FE or not, this dealer has busted the budget to fix the truck and didn’t so everything from this point on is going to be like pulling your own teeth because the dealer is coughing up every dollar to look at the truck now, not Ford.
It differs from state to state. In California it is much easier to lemon vehicles. If a lawyer takes your case you pay no money out of pocket and ford has to pay them about $3k just for writing a letter stating they need to lemon law your vehicle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It differs from state to state. In California it is much easier to lemon vehicles. If a lawyer takes your case you pay no money out of pocket and ford has to pay them about $3k just for writing a letter stating they need to lemon law your vehicle.
Disgusting. That cost is absorbed in the price of new vehicles, which everyone is outraged at every year when the prices increase. CA is the most litigious state in the country; it’s a cesspool of entitled consumers complaining about every little nonsensical thing while making demands and claiming everyone owes them the world. Then the scumbag law firms get involved to claim their share, which CA laws guarantee them. Even if they sue and lose, the company still needs to pay the attorney fees. They literally can’t lose, so they take every case. They’re repulsive. It’s absolutely abhorrent that anyone would encourage that kind of extortion, but here we are.

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having a hassle. I hope they get it figured out for you. I was lucky that my dealer was very proactive when they couldn't figure out the wacky issues with my 4X4 system. They had the field service tech involved almost from the beginning and then got someone from Detroit heavily involved also. It took them a while, but it seems to be perfect again. The dealer had me in a brand-new Escape while they had my truck, I did buy my Raptor from them. I kept demanding a GT 500 for a loaner, but the service manager ignored me!

Last edited:

Marcelletti17

Reaction score
Disgusting. That cost is absorbed in the price of new vehicles, which everyone is outraged at every year when the prices increase. CA is the most litigious state in the country; it’s a cesspool of entitled consumers complaining about every little nonsensical thing while making demands and claiming everyone owes them the world. Then the scumbag law firms get involved to claim their share, which CA laws guarantee them. Even if they sue and lose, the company still needs to pay the attorney fees. They literally can’t lose, so they take every case. They’re repulsive. It’s absolutely abhorrent that anyone would encourage that kind of extortion, but here we are.

The disgusting part to me is letting a $1k per month truck sit at the dealer for 2 months because none of their techs can figure out what the issue is. Luckily I didn’t have to use a lemon law lawyer because my dealer actually helped me through the lemon process. It’s not a fun process whatsoever so I hope to never go through it again, but consumers do have rights.

I finally found a dealer that has a great service tech and I won’t take my truck to anyone else.

Turbotwins

Reaction score
Here the deal I was a 3x master tech for 30yrs dealers as well as race shops and independent repair,then owning my own shop, most techs suck when it comes down to having to do diagnostics on wiring etc, they can do simple stuff even dealer Techs aren’t great ,it’s why they have to have those tech lines unlike regular repair shops where we work on every brand and everything with a engine ,dealers get good at one thing maybe a handful if that’s all they have done ,if I was you I would call around to a shop that specializes in electrical repairs, back in the day I used to go to dealers and other shops after hrs and fix stuff they couldn’t before the internet etc…
If they can not figure it out in a couple days they aren’t ever going to it will sit and the tech will go back to it when he is bored or forced to do it ..
If you were paying cash they would be on it none stop but warranty work has a time/hr limit …
My guess is the harness it messed up if it has water in it but again I’m just guessing I’d go grab a few relays and some jumpers and make sure everything worked with direct current and slowly back track from each component until you find the common lack of contact be it power ground ,or lack of signal…
Good luck I know it’s not much but I hope it helps ,if I was around I’d come help ya …

Last edited: