Need Help! Dealer has had Truck for almost 2 months, still can’t figure out problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t believe I’m making this post, but here we are. My Sunroof and Interior lights stopped working in May. Called several dealers around me and was finally able to get an appt on June 10th. As of today, July 29th, 49 days later, they still have my truck and have no idea what the problem is.

They first diagnosed it as a bad BCM. They ordered a new one and it took 4 weeks to arrive. Went to install it and found a puddle of water in my passenger footwell. They reasoned that they need to figure out the leak first, so the water doesn’t destroy the new BCM. Alright, understandable.

They did a water leak test and apparently it was the rear cab vents. (I asked several times about the sunroof drains and they said they had checked them twice.) They removed the bed, replaced the vents, and supposedly no more water leak. They installed the new BCM, programmed it, and…. no change. The Sunroof does not work. None of the Interior Lights work. Dome Lights, Map Lights, etc.

I contacted Ford Customer Care last week (before they even told me the new BCM didn’t fix it) because I was hoping to speed up the process, and I still had not received a loaner/rental from the Dealer. I was assigned a Case No and I thought progress was being made. Now I feel I’m back at where I started.

I know its "only" the sunroof. Truck still runs and drives fine (at least I think). But come on. Its been 2 months. I’m asking for advice on what to do, or perhaps just a solution to my non working Sunroof.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t believe I’m making this post, but here we are. My Sunroof and Interior lights stopped working in May. Called several dealers around me and was finally able to get an appt on June 10th. As of today, July 29th, 49 days later, they still have my truck and have no idea what the problem is.

They first diagnosed it as a bad BCM. They ordered a new one and it took 4 weeks to arrive. Went to install it and found a puddle of water in my passenger footwell. They reasoned that they need to figure out the leak first, so the water doesn’t destroy the new BCM. Alright, understandable.

They did a water leak test and apparently it was the rear cab vents. (I asked several times about the sunroof drains and they said they had checked them twice.) They removed the bed, replaced the vents, and supposedly no more water leak. They installed the new BCM, programmed it, and…. no change. The Sunroof does not work. None of the Interior Lights work. Dome Lights, Map Lights, etc.

I contacted Ford Customer Care last week (before they even told me the new BCM didn’t fix it) because I was hoping to speed up the process, and I still had not received a loaner/rental from the Dealer. I was assigned a Case No and I thought progress was being made. Now I feel I’m back at where I started.

I know its "only" the sunroof. Truck still runs and drives fine (at least I think). But come on. Its been 2 months. I’m asking for advice on what to do, or perhaps just a solution to my non working Sunroof.
Well what if you took it to a different dealer. Maybe they have better technicians or service advisors with more know how.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No loaner/rental is the sign of a dishonest dealer. FMC will pay for the rental, so it's no skin off their butt. It wouldn't surprise me if they were billing FMC for your phantom ride. Why didn't they let you drive it while they waited for a new BCM? Did you ask? I had an experience similar to yours except it was an easy obvious repair that took two months because the service department couldn't figure out how to get the part. I got my rental and then my loaner once I knew to push the issue.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I can guarantee they’re no longer working on it regularly. They’ve exhausted the hours that Ford will pay long ago, so now they’re just looking at it in spare change time - 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there and then moving on to other stuff. You need to get it out of that stealership and take it to a new one. Notify Ford CS that the current dealer cannot fix the problem and you’re taking it somewhere else.

OP
OP
Wilbur

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well what if you took it to a different dealer. Maybe they have better technicians or service advisors with more know how.
I may do this. Problem is it would take another month to get an appt at a different dealer. Or maybe FMC can push them to get me in sooner?
No loaner/rental is the sign of a dishonest dealer. FMC will pay for the rental, so it's no skin off their butt. It wouldn't surprise me if they were billing FMC for your phantom ride. Why didn't they let you drive it while they waited for a new BCM? Did you ask? I had an experience similar to yours except it was an easy obvious repair that took two months because the service department couldn't figure out how to get the part. I got my rental and then my loaner once I knew to push the issue.
This one is probably my bad. When I was calling around I asked a few dealers about loaners/rentals. I basically got laughed at. The Dealer I ended up going with said they don't do loaners for simple services, but do if its major. Once I contacted FMC the dealer got me a rental within 2 days.
I asked if I could take the truck back while they wait for the BCM and they made it seem they would have to fit me on the schedule once it comes, but if I left it they would get to it sooner.

OP
OP
Wilbur

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee they’re no longer working on it regularly. They’ve exhausted the hours that Ford will pay long ago, so now they’re just looking at it in spare change time - 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there and then moving on to other stuff. You need to get it out of that stealership and take it to a new one. Notify Ford CS that the current dealer cannot fix the problem and you’re taking it somewhere else.
Have a feeling you're right. I went and checked on my truck a week ago and it was parked in their back lot. It smelled very musty inside. Thankfully no miles had been added and battery still had a charge.
I will take it to a new one but have a feeling it'll be September before anyone will get me in. I also don't have high hopes on their skills based on my phone calls back in May. Believe it or not the dealer I went to has higher ratings then most.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have an honest conversation with your service advisor. There may be some behind the scenes talking going on with Ford factory.
And the service manager. Let him know that you're active on the forum and talking to FMC. If he lights a fire under your SA, things will start to happen.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may do this. Problem is it would take another month to get an appt at a different dealer. Or maybe FMC can push them to get me in sooner?

This one is probably my bad. When I was calling around I asked a few dealers about loaners/rentals. I basically got laughed at. The Dealer I ended up going with said they don't do loaners for simple services, but do if its major. Once I contacted FMC the dealer got me a rental within 2 days.
I asked if I could take the truck back while they wait for the BCM and they made it seem they would have to fit me on the schedule once it comes, but if I left it they would get to it sooner.
Well I would consider this major.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You would think if those specific circuits quit working that they would check the fuses and check for voltage at the BCM. Did they say there is no power at the BCM? Power sliding rear window work? Aux switches work?