Need better Reverse Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed Rigid back-up light kit. Can be plug and play, yet I used switch that comes with kit. This allows three way, always on, always off, or automatic when in reverse.
Drilled hole in dash near light switch and added their switch. Lights install into holes already in bumper with just enough clearance.
One downside is reflection of switch light, but you get used to it. I wish there was a way to have them flash on and off for off-roading.
When needing light for loading and unloading , backing up in the wild, this is the way to go.

Hey squrtcap
Did you run the wire harness through the frame ?sounds like a nice kit

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the laws in your area, it could be illegal to have lights designated "off road" come on in public places.

I put a set of small Rigids on mine. Instead of tying them to the backup circuit due to the possibility of blinding someone in a parking lot or drawing too much current for the circuit, I ran a single wire in a loom through the frame to upfitter #4 which is a 10a circuit. That way they only come on when it is safe to use them.

Squrtcap

Reaction score
Gto19
The kit installs from the under dash/switch to the rear via the frame. Has loom, you need to supply black ties and access to through the fire wall. Rigid recommended to wire the light at the left taillight. I use the method of taking a small nail to split the wire you are splicing into, then pushing about 3/4 inch of the other wire through the space made by the nail, finally wrapping the wire tight around the wire and sealing with quality electrical tape. I also add loom around all wires spliced to make it look oem.

8A998167-2D6B-485F-9D73-F72901B57DC3.jpeg

Last edited:

Squrtcap

Reaction score
Edbert is correct...the Rigid lights will blind a vehicle behind you. The off function of the supplied switch is for ‘keeping it legal’, but when at home in the wild or when no vehicles behind you it is great kit.

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squrtcap

Thanks . Was it easy running the wires through the frame ? I’m gonna install some lights this weekend and run the wire loom through the frame . Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can reply for Squirt, I just did it two days ago.

I ran a single wire in a 3/16th split-loom conduit from the opening in the rear of the frame where it bolts to the bumper all the way to the front wheel well where it comes out of the side of the frame (existing holes), the whole thing took maybe five minutes using fish-tape.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ran out to parking garage to snap two pics, sorry the truck is so dirty. I used a pair of existing holes, no drilling, did have to upsize a washer.

20db4d17419a18c092d138db85acd9a0.jpg3e67fbaca6d1857b0a1cce4272e821f6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks edbert !

I have the exact same lights and will run the wires just like you did up to the engine compartment

Squrtcap

Reaction score
I went with SR-M Pro Series Backup Kit. It may be different and as stated before, started at dash switch and battery connections and went from there to the left taillight. Also did not put this kit on overhead switches as I needed all six for other lights. One cool looking Rigid light is the midnight on a hood mounted Zroads bracket. They clear the cowl with hood up and with fog, driving and flood in the bumper and a 40 inch radius midnight on the bumper, as Rigid says own the night.
The sixth switch will be used for a flashing rear facing light for group off-roading.