Need advice on paint issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Navy Doc

Reaction score
I have owned my 2020 Ford Raptor for about 2 months. When I went to wash the truck, I found what appeared to be an extra layer of paint on my fender. It was sharp enough to rip out fibers from my polishing cloth and looked odd.

I took it to the dealer, who said they have a body shop that can fix it easily.

Unbeknownst to me, the body shop repainted the whole fender, claiming it was necessary to make the paint match. I was not pleased, as from my experience factory paint is usually better than body shop paint.

I’ve been finding bubbles and craters throughout the repainted fender. Did a bit of research and they appear to be what is called solvent pop and fish eye.

I took the truck back to the body shop and they managed to remove most of them, but missed some, as shown in the second photo.

The body shop gave me shit and said “hey it’s a truck so you don’t need it to be perfect. We can only make it as good as Ford and I can take you to the dealership and show you these 2020 Fords with paint issues. We will give it another go one more time but I can’t keep taking my guy off his projects so you better point them all out tomorrow.”

Needless to say I was pissed this ass wipe felt it was his place to tell me what is and what is not acceptable. My take is I paid $72,000 for a new truck and it should be as perfect as possible when delivered. I’ve had body shops work on my other cars and none have had these issues. So to me it sounds like they either don’t prep their paint correctly or have a dirty paint booth. I am not a paint professional and seeing blemishes isn’t easy unless you have perfect lighting and view angles. Isn’t that what they are paid for?!?

Any blemish caused by me - be it off road or whatever - I am fine with. It’s my truck. If it’s caused because of poor workmanship from factory, dealer, or body shop - F*ck that not letting it slide.

I’ve spoken to Ford and they told me to call them after I go to body shop tomorrow and see if they can fix it. If not they’ll see what they can do. I’ve also contacted the dealer that paid the body shop for the work.

Hopefully it’s fixed tomorrow - I don’t see how fish eye can be buffed away with a polisher - but we’ll see.

Wanted to see what ideas and suggestions you have regarding my problem. Not sure what venues I can pursue if this can’t get fixed to my satisfaction.

05DDB713-C0DC-4E67-A0EE-EEDD6C006CA9.jpeg

9E6C27E4-B501-4B98-94E0-B9F35DB4C7F4.jpeg

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Oh and according to the body shop, the extra layer of paint in my fender was caused as a result of Ford not removing the paint sealant completely and then painting over it.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned my 2020 Ford Raptor for about 2 months. When I went to wash the truck, I found what appeared to be an extra layer of paint on my fender. It was sharp enough to rip out fibers from my polishing cloth and looked odd.

I took it to the dealer, who said they have a body shop that can fix it easily.

Unbeknownst to me, the body shop repainted the whole fender, claiming it was necessary to make the paint match. I was not pleased, as from my experience factory paint is usually better than body shop paint.

I’ve been finding bubbles and craters throughout the repainted fender. Did a bit of research and they appear to be what is called solvent pop and fish eye.

I took the truck back to the body shop and they managed to remove most of them, but missed some, as shown in the second photo.

The body shop gave me shit and said “hey it’s a truck so you don’t need it to be perfect. We can only make it as good as Ford and I can take you to the dealership and show you these 2020 Fords with paint issues. We will give it another go one more time but I can’t keep taking my guy off his projects so you better point them all out tomorrow.”

Needless to say I was pissed this ass wipe felt it was his place to tell me what is and what is not acceptable. My take is I paid $72,000 for a new truck and it should be as perfect as possible when delivered. I’ve had body shops work on my other cars and none have had these issues. So to me it sounds like they either don’t prep their paint correctly or have a dirty paint booth. I am not a paint professional and seeing blemishes isn’t easy unless you have perfect lighting and view angles. Isn’t that what they are paid for?!?

Any blemish caused by me - be it off road or whatever - I am fine with. It’s my truck. If it’s caused because of poor workmanship from factory, dealer, or body shop - F*ck that not letting it slide.

I’ve spoken to Ford and they told me to call them after I go to body shop tomorrow and see if they can fix it. If not they’ll see what they can do. I’ve also contacted the dealer that paid the body shop for the work.

Hopefully it’s fixed tomorrow - I don’t see how fish eye can be buffed away with a polisher - but we’ll see.

Wanted to see what ideas and suggestions you have regarding my problem. Not sure what venues I can pursue if this can’t get fixed to my satisfaction.

View attachment 141657

View attachment 141658

I had the same issue on mine, took delivery 3/31/2020. Same lookin thing as the first picture, driver side fender up by the A piller next to the hood. Getting PPF put of her now but pointed it out during the initial walk-around and they said they'd take care of it during the paint correction process. Once I get her back, I'll post a pic of that spot so you can see. Sorry, I don't have one of it before. I didn't catch it though until doing that walk-around with the PPF shop, otherwise; I'd lkely be in the same boat as you. I hope you're able to get it all worked out to your satisfaction.

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Yeah I bought mine when it was night time so it’s hard to see. Tomorrow is my third trip back for this issue. If they can’t fix it I’ll take it to my own shop. Ford rep told me they won’t cover all the costs if I take this route.

My own shop told me that the dealer shop rushed it as this type of job takes at least 2 days to properly flash. The dealer shop had it done in 1 day. My ship said the only time they release vehicle back to customer after a day is if the job is small like on a side view mirror. An entire panel takes more time. They added the paint booth the dealer shop used was likely not cleaned before the job. My shop costs more money than most, but I’ve never had an issue there ever.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

You have more patience than do I, he would not have finished that sentence to me, he’d have been interrupted by my telling him to go unf*ck himself, square his **** away, and fix his screw up right this time. Your method is more effective at achieving the desired result.

Needless to say I was pissed this ass wipe felt it was his place to tell me what is and what is not acceptable. My take is I paid $72,000 for a new truck and it should be as perfect as possible when delivered. I’ve had body shops work on my other cars and none have had these issues. So to me it sounds like they either don’t prep their paint correctly or have a dirty paint booth.

Your understanding of how this should work is the correct answer.
honestly... I’d be reticent to allow a 2nd chance. I’d be asking them to contract it out to a local shop of professionals. And by asking, I don’t mean it to sound like I’d actually be asking. The level of ‘repair’ work is amateurish and you didn’t pay 72 large for amateurish, did you?

I didn’t think so.

OP
OP
Navy Doc

Navy Doc

Reaction score
Yeah I held my temper in check since I need them to fix. If it goes nowhere tomorrow then I won’t be as patient. Third time is the charm. Or not. Worst case I’ll take it to my shop and file a claim against them in small claims court.

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks Terrible... where in CA are you?-- I come from the Body shop industry, and I would freak..... it is necessary to paint the whole fender, and "open blends" will likely fail at some point. If I have a client near you I will refer you..... I wouldn't accept it and I wouldn't let them touch my truck again... Also dealer body shops are often still in the "dark ages"....

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marked all the spots I could find.

View attachment 141661

Looked like less of an eyesore BEFORE the work. Jeez. Yeah, way to keep your cool with that "Hey, it's a truck..." comment. It's difficult to not react but, I think you made the right call... military bearing, right? Bravo zulu, shipmate. I'll get those pictures of mine up when she comes back but am interested to see yours after the proper fix is done.