Need advice on a tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a tonneau cover for my new truck. I have traditionally used Access roll up covers on my last 3 trucks, and have been fairly happy with them. I like that even if something is protruding slightly into the cover, it will flex to a degree and still close.

My bed is full of tools and equipment 24/7. While I would like to keep water intrusion to an absolute minimum, it’s not a must have for me.

I really loved the added security of a retractable like Retrax, but the loss of bed space up front from the canister is a non-starter for me. I need to preserve every inch available. I’ve also heard they don’t do well in the land of ice and snow and corrosion.

Ive looked at the Tri-folds, but I often need the whole bed uncovered or need to roll up my cover at odd points.

Do you guys have any feedback? Should I stick with a roll up like this https://accessories.ford.com/bed-products/covers/cover-tonneau-12338.html ?

Or is there a retractable that would work?

Thanks.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

I have the perfect cover for you, the Truxedo Sentry CT. I have it on mine. We offer FRF discounts

Message me

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bakflip trifold has a section at the front of the bed that is stationary. I couldn’t tie my Honda monkey to the front of the bed because it interfered with the fender. I had to do the 4.5 hr trip home with the tailgate down. If the cover was removed it would’ve just fit. If you’re concerned, avoid the trifold.

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a previous truck I had a Solid Fold. I liked it, but it did leak and you had to completely remove it to have something taller than the cover in the third of the bed closest to the cab. If they made it more waterproof with a quick disconnect system in the front, I would buy another in a heartbeat. It was also very secure!

I currently have a Bak Revolver X2 on my Gen 2 Raptor. It’s way more waterproof, but does leak around the gaps in the corners. I might be able to tweak it with shims or alignment, but it is waterproof enough for me. I like the cover, but probably won’t buy another.

Here’s my cons of the Revolver X2…

The logo fell off the first year, but it’s not a big deal to me

It doesn’t allow full use of the bed rolled up, and is difficult to remove if you need to strap something fully forward. I just use something lower than the cover to space it off the front of the bed for strapping purposes.

I’m not a fan of the buckle system used to secure it after rolling it forward and I need to rig up a stout bungee with a clip that will work.

The felt on the bottom detached, and I cant’t seem to reattach it. I should probably call them about this.

I’m also getting a split if the vinyl a few inches forward of the tailgate.

I’m super curious to hear more reviews from Raptor owners regarding covers. I plan on keeping my truck for another 6+ years, but don’t think my X2 will last that long.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got a Hard Hat. I can take it off in two minutes. Putting it back on takes a couple more because I have to line it up and double check it.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hard folding one. Looks awesome when its closed, which is most of the time. When I open it to load stuff in the bed, it blocks the rear view completely, because it rests against the back window. that’s my only problem with it.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truxedo Sentry CT is great and and be taken off with ease to allow full access to the bed, 3yr warranty as well

01Moch1

Reaction score
I just installed a Truxedo Pro x15 on my truck and so far I'm happy with it. It came highly recommend from a friend who has one on his Taco. In this picture it's just the first fitting, I hadn't adjusted the tensioners yet so there's a few waves in the fabric but they came out nicely. I feel the that the fabric and low profile fit give it a more premium look versus the standard vinyl ones. I really liked the century CT that was mentioned above but couldn't justify the extra cost for my situation. Either way, if I were you, I'd look at aftermarket brands like TruXedo or Gator. both are american-made, offer good warranties and will either save you money or get you more cover for your money. For reference, I will have paid $399.99 for my TruXedo Pro X15 once I receive my mail-in rebate.20200720_202557.jpg

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the Ford cover you listed on mine until I got a topper, just sold it to a buddy. It was really nice. Fits nice and flush as the rails clamp on the sides of the bed rails on the inside. Another buddy was there with his, and the velcro rails clamp on top of the bed rails and it looks kinda funny. I think you could get the same cover, without the Ford emboss in the middle, for a bit less.