Navigation Problem Solved - Thank You jzeweedky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back on track or on trails, I use an app called "Alltrails" it's free, it shows a lot of trails around Vegas ( or anywhere) for hiking, mtn biking, dog walking, etc. If you're into that sort of thing, it works really well and shows the level of difficulty, distance and supplies the maps with elevation, etc.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back on track or on trails, I use an app called "Alltrails" it's free, it shows a lot of trails around Vegas ( or anywhere) for hiking, mtn biking, dog walking, etc. If you're into that sort of thing, it works really well and shows the level of difficulty, distance and supplies the maps with elevation, etc.
I've used alltrails quite a bit. One thing to know is that it's a crowdsourced database. If no one has hiked, logged, and uploaded a route, it doesn't appear. My BIL and I have started calling it "sometrails", since we like to find stuff that isn't popular.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like @Chris Mies said above, I believe the device your trying to use has to have the cellular hardware? But does that hardware work without being piggybacked to a device with a cell plan?? Above my knowledge level, Chris can you explain it in non-tech language?

GAIA will work the same way, you have to download that map area you intended to travel in prior to setting out on your adventure. but whatever you download it to has to have a cell plan or a hotspot to work as I found out, when my iPad froze as soon as I left cell coverage. I didn’t try to hot spot it to my phone because I didn’t know to try that until I got home and was informed I could try that.
The problem with using the cellular GPS hardware is I get that lag whenever I’m going faster than 10mph and you can end up missing turns.
I learned to download the maps when I went hiking in Zion and was looking at a blank green screen :banghead: I told you, school of hard knocks lol:pepper::pepper:

All I know is the set- up I have now with the stand alone GPS and the devices hooked up to it works seamlessly as intended without the lag in my location I was experiencing in my location before and I now have a 12” NAV screen that I can actually see. :)

Cellular and GPS are completely different electrical circuits and communication protocols. That is why your standalone GPS works. There is no cellular service in it. The tablet manufacturers for whatever reason combined them into the same hardware option even though they are not dependent on one another.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
For all you doubting Thomas's, here it is straight from the horse's mouth.

Well now, they explain it in more understandable language. No one was doubting you Thomas, errr Chris. So based on this and your explanation, I can power up an old phone that no longer has service and use the GAIA App as a Navigation tool, because that would be great.
Thank You for finding that article from GAIA, it answers some questions.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem with using the cellular GPS hardware is I get that lag whenever I’m going faster than 10mph and you can end up missing turns.
Actually the phone is using the cell signal to get a location. It triangulates the signal, and that is why it jumps when the signal is weak, and doesn't work with no signal.