Navigation Problem Solved - Thank You jzeweedky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Technology is crazy these days. Is the beaver named Brandon?
Uh-oh, this threads about to go off the tracks!:Big Laugh::pepper:
So the Beaver story….
My wife was an instructional coach, teaching other teachers how to teach. She and the other coaches are at the office doing one of those Face-Twit quizzes, answer these questions and find out what your “Spirt Animal” is, one was a bird, a horse whatever… hers of course was the BEAVER and they of course will never let her forget it :anitoof::anitoof: they send her Beaver stickers for her classroom, a Beaver hand sanitizer and the list goes on.. *****
:banana-mario::banana-mario::favorites37::happy175::happy160:

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
That's so weird, so far there is only one place where my GPS wouldn't work and that is on Vancouver Island, I still don't understand why that is, the nav still works but gps coordinates and search functions wouldn't work, I'm still running the original 2009 update, usually have to use my phone for newer address searches, ha ha. I'm anxious to find out if it works in Mexico or not, figure it should.
All the folks running down south of the border seem to be using that high dollar Lowrance NAV system?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the folks running down south of the border seem to be using that high dollar Lowrance NAV system?
Yes, just about everybody uses those for Raptor runs, I've used it as well, it's because you can program the routes with obstacles or hazards, etc. You don't really need it when by yourself unless you are preplanning trips/events, etc. Sort of what you are doing though, I guess. Planning your routes for taking all of us to your secret hiding spots :)

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like @Chris Mies said above, I believe the device your trying to use has to have the cellular hardware? But does that hardware work without being piggybacked to a device with a cell plan?? Above my knowledge level, Chris can you explain it in non-tech language?

GAIA will work the same way, you have to download that map area you intended to travel in prior to setting out on your adventure. but whatever you download it to has to have a cell plan or a hotspot to work as I found out, when my iPad froze as soon as I left cell coverage. I didn’t try to hot spot it to my phone because I didn’t know to try that until I got home and was informed I could try that.
The problem with using the cellular GPS hardware is I get that lag whenever I’m going faster than 10mph and you can end up missing turns.
I learned to download the maps when I went hiking in Zion and was looking at a blank green screen :banghead: I told you, school of hard knocks lol:pepper::pepper:

All I know is the set- up I have now with the stand alone GPS and the devices hooked up to it works seamlessly as intended without the lag in my location I was experiencing in my location before and I now have a 12” NAV screen that I can actually see. :)
I run the mapping software on my phone. Android. I've been really happy with AlpineQuest, both the freeware and the paid version($10) that lets you download GPX files and log routes. Just basic topo maps, but it shows roads so it's pretty useful. If it was compatible with Android Auto, I'd be done. I'm thinking I'll give the gaia free trial a try next time I go on a trip. If I have to have cell coverage for it to work, it's a complete nonstarter. I'm not a fan of subscription services, either, but if it works well enough, I'd be willing.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's so weird, so far there is only one place where my GPS wouldn't work and that is on Vancouver Island, I still don't understand why that is, the nav still works but gps coordinates and search functions wouldn't work, I'm still running the original 2009 update, usually have to use my phone for newer address searches, ha ha. I'm anxious to find out if it works in Mexico or not, figure it should.
Vancouver Island is part of the Bermuda triangle, no? I majored in geography. :)

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i totally forgot about the ipad with gps feature. My wife has a 2020 ipad pro with cellular and the gps, we totally didnt use it lol. The gen1 nav seems ok (I have a 13 MY), when i went through the Mojave preserve to get to Palm springs, it just showed the truck in a mass of green rather than the actual highway i was on.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I run the mapping software on my phone. Android. I've been really happy with AlpineQuest, both the freeware and the paid version($10) that lets you download GPX files and log routes. Just basic topo maps, but it shows roads so it's pretty useful. If it was compatible with Android Auto, I'd be done. I'm thinking I'll give the gaia free trial a try next time I go on a trip. If I have to have cell coverage for it to work, it's a complete nonstarter. I'm not a fan of subscription services, either, but if it works well enough, I'd be willing.
No, no I confused u as well as myself lol.
GAIA works FANTASTIC everywhere I go w/o cell coverage. Like u said, you just have to load the map area ahead of time. Once you’re out of cell coverage the downloaded maps still work perfectly. In Zion I had not downloaded the area and therefore had a blank screen but it was still tracking me. As long as your device that you’re using has the cellular hardware as Chris explained it or connected to a stand alone GPS as my iPad is now you are good to go.
I’ve used GAIA since it’s inception when it was free. I love the ease of use, endless map layers, ability to drop notes and pictures along your route so you can remember things. Pictographs here, boulders on rd there etc.
You can’t go wrong with the GAIA IMHO
In my navigation thread some folks mentioned some of the others but the GAIA seems to have the standard for the NAV Apps. They just merged with another mapping source and you now have a Mountain Bike layer that will show you all of the Mountain Bike Trails.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
i totally forgot about the ipad with gps feature. My wife has a 2020 ipad pro with cellular and the gps, we totally didnt use it lol. The gen1 nav seems ok (I have a 13 MY), when i went through the Mojave preserve to get to Palm springs, it just showed the truck in a mass of green rather than the actual highway i was on.
You have a 12” map and didn’t know it lol
CHRISTMAS again!!