Navigation Problem Solved - Thank You jzeweedky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Ok, b4 you start bagging on me and pulling my tail, know that I’m probably the most Low-tech FRF member c:shakehead::pepper::shakehead:

Soooo, the other day when I went out Raptoring with @jzweedyk i brought along my new I-Pad pro the boss gave me for Christmas, hoping to use it as a larger screen for the GAIA APP to mirror the app on my iPhone.
Once we left cell coverage, which is everywhere I go, the IPad GAIA FROZE.
The iPhone of course keeps working. I find out that I have the Pro-Wi-Fi, w/o cellular?? Whatever the Fxxk that means?
The one with cellular of course cost more and you have to pay for a separate cell plan for the iPad…. Of FNING course :(
Son in law tells me I can just use my cell as a “hotspot” for the iPad.
That still leaves me with the GAIA lag using cellular once your out of coverage and going over 5mph.
So @jzweedyk shows me this Bluetooth GPS thing that you connect devices to, in order to give that device GPS capability.
Long story, longer…lol, son in law showed me the right GPS device to buy that connects to 5 devices.
I took it for a test drive today and everything worked PERFECTLY including NO GAIA LAG!
My other problem was WHERE TO MOUNT the the IPad? Windshield mount, obstructs view of course. @jzweedyk has the very cool Builtright dash mounting system but I wanted to try the poor-man’s dash-mount using 2-MobArmor magnetic mounts.
Surprisingly it WORKED! iPad never fell off while off-roading. So far it’s a huge success all the way around for Johnny-Low-Tech :)
Thank you @jzweedyk for helping solve my problem.
Pictures of today adventures coming soon ;)C196DA46-CC63-452E-A2FA-B9D1CD6C3064.jpeg1B414E3F-58FB-40FB-B947-1859B9B88D6B.jpegBE3B69D3-A572-4531-87F0-AEF68CFBD639.jpegF3514CC9-7CE5-4014-BA58-91642050DE4C.jpeg626877EF-C038-4260-B53D-729C6946513D.jpeg

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, what ever that is, lol, I'm low tech too. Why arent you using your built in navigation system? Is it because you have no gps signal out in the desert with the built in one? My old gen 1 nav works out there, I just zoom in and use bread crumbs to find my way around. I'm probably missing the point here obviously.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Yeah, what ever that is, lol, I'm low tech too. Why arent you using your built in navigation system? Is it because you have no gps signal out in the desert with the built in one? My old gen 1 nav works out there, I just zoom in and use bread crumbs to find my way around. I'm probably missing the point here obviously.
Time to update my brother. :) The Gen1 map actually had better nav detail than the Gen2 with a lot of forest service roads etc. But take a look at the detail in the GAIA map. It has multiple overlays that you can use showing 4x4 trails hiking trails etc. and critically important to me is the topo information. It has information I can’t find on my paper maps and you know I’m an old-school paper map guy lolC950F9C3-366F-4223-9ADB-45551EEFFE07.png

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Time to update my brother. :) The Gen1 map actually had better nav detail than the Gen2 with a lot of forest service roads etc. But take a look at the detail in the GAIA map. It has multiple overlays that you can use showing 4x4 trails hiking trails etc. and critically important to me is the topo information. It has information I can’t find on my paper maps and you know I’m an old-school paper map guy lolView attachment 336623
I see why you would want that info, for doing your hiking, etc and the graphics. I've never seen the nav on the gen 2, but I really like the nav on my gen 1 better than some brand new vehicles, especially toyota crap. I get the coordinates and altitiude with mine but not all on the same page. All of the forest service roads show up on mine, even when I went on Raptor runs through Nev/Cali. I see why others have gone with updated aftermarket nav as the graphics are so much better. I would think the Gen 3s should be pretty decent with that big info ctr screen though.