NAVIGATION - Instruction Has Begun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was definitely thinking I might be doing a December winter night in the woods. Obviously that was way before portable phones. I would start my hunt at a "closed for the winter" ranger station, I would park there. When I came out I would call family from a phone booth (remember those? lol) and tell them I'm out. I never thought of a compass crapping out either. Even my dive compasses have never died.

Well, there you go then, next hunting trip you take a dive compass. :)

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Today’s Topic is CONTOUR LINES, on your Map or more likely your NAV App.
I’ve attached the link from the Army Study Guide that explains Contour Lines and The 5 Major and 3 minor Terrain Features.
Being able to “Reading the Contour Lines” and then being able to Visualize what you can expect to see on the ground is a Critical Skill in Land Navigation. It helps you in planning your route (4x4/4x2feet)so that you may have a joyful and successful Adventure;)
It’s helpful to know ahead of time that the trail you are traversing along the RIDGE to the HILLTOP ends at a Steep CLIFF, so you don’t go Flying along the Ridge, ending with your Death at the bottom of the cliff.
Being able to Read and Interrupt the CONTOUR LINES will also aid you in determining Your Location on the Map.
Ok, I should be making a right turn at the Base of this hill. I come to a Right turn, but it goes along a wash, not by a hill? Trust your gut and Navigation Skills, that’s not your turn!
With all these new Navigation Apps, you can easily see that the little Arrowhead (my location) hasn’t reached the turn yet. But when your Electronics fail, or you didn’t save this AO that you are operating in, so your NAV screen is blank, you have to go “Old School” Map & Compass, and Terrain Association!
If your NAV App doesn’t indicate the “Contour Interval” (Distance between the Contour Lines) you can determine that yourself using the Index (Heavier Dark Brown contour lines) say I see an Index line indicating the elevation along that line is 2000’. The next Index line, near the Hilltop indicates 2100’ near the crest of the Hilltop and there are 5 contour lines between the Index lines. Your Contour Interval is 20’. So there will be 100’ of elevation gain if you’re traveling from the 2000’ Index line to the 2100’ Index line. How CLOSE OR FAR APART the Contour Lines are determines your Slope. Contour Lines close together=Steep Slope/Angle. Further apart=Gentler the slope/angle. This concept is explained in greater detail in the Army Study Guide below.

https://www.armystudyguide.com/cont...n_map_reading/identify-major-minor-terr.shtml

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this how the Army teaches navigation? Knuckle sandwiches and ***** slaps? LOL

cdc89dad-fe3c-4a21-a465-e0c386fd037f-jpeg.167236

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Is this how the Army teaches navigation? Knuckle sandwiches and ***** slaps? LOL

cdc89dad-fe3c-4a21-a465-e0c386fd037f-jpeg.167236
EXACTLY! ;)
We also Teach Navigation by M1 (just run shit over) and
Navigation by 5.56mm, (Navigation up to 1000yds, Iron Sights) Baaaahaaa
You Can Run (Navigate) but you will only Die Tired ... :)

2C5695AC-3D58-454E-8A10-5C0F97A14268.jpeg

4F812AED-3A6F-4BF8-81A7-A3DE763A5E6B.jpeg

EEC30403-1EBB-40F4-9863-AFF2A9949A9F.jpeg

60B57031-BFE3-4BE5-9F56-F1441B71399A.jpeg

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Yup. Thin-soled, flexible shoes with no arch support so he develops strong feet. Moccasins are perfect and a kid that age will love them.
I Love my FIVE FINGERS! I test drove them one day when it was 120 degrees. I also carried another pair of boots in case my feet burned on the rocks. No problem, I hiked in the 5-Fingers all day. You get immediate feedback into your brain (or what’s left of mine??) through all the nerves in your feet. ie: Sharp Rock! Don’t put your weight down. Haaa
If you really want some Knowledge and a Great Read/Listen get the Book
BORN TO RUN It explains the “Barefoot Running Craze” and its origins. A look into the Talimahari Indians in the Copper Canyons of Mexico. They are often referred to as the “Running People”
They are some of the World’s Greatest Ultra Runners and they Run Barefoot or with some kind of sole tied to their feet, ie: 5-fingers, Barefoot running shoes. My personal favorite, Merrell’s Barefoot Runner. The books goes into the mechanics of how Nike single handedly began the Destruction of our feet!
An INCREDIBLE Read!! I’ve read it at least 6x.
The book saved me from surgery, $400 shoe inserts! I got PF so bad my wife had to help into the house after a 14mike hike in Zion. I was using my 6” hiking boot. After several doctor visits, $400 FNING inserts, I read the book again. Started wearing my Barefoot shoes again....CURED THE PF!!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The book saved me from surgery, $400 shoe inserts! I got PF so bad my wife had to help into the house after a 14mike hike in Zion. I was using my 6” hiking boot. After several doctor visits, $400 FNING inserts, I read the book again. Started wearing my Barefoot shoes again....CURED THE PF!!

Yup. PF is caused by weak feet. My cousin had her fascia replaced with steel plates. She walks like Frankenstein's monster. She wasn't graceful before, but now she moves like a drunk water buffalo. I felt bad that I didn't know she had PF in time to tell her the cure. I had PF so bad that I had to keep a pair of shoes with orthotics in next to the bed for when I had to pee in the middle of the night. My hiking boots kept getting bigger and stiffer. I hadn't run in years. I could barely walk. Strengthening my feet saved me. Now I hike barefoot when it's warm and I'm on a trail. I run barefoot in the park by my house. My feet have never been better.